Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the average friction force when a person has a usual 1 km walk

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    what is the average friction force when a person has a usual 1 km walk ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Sunny.
    Your question, as asked, is impossible to answer. Much more information is needed. For one thing, you have to consider the level of synovial fluid in the body joints to determine the friction involved just within the body itself, before you even get to what kind of shoes (if any) the subject is wearing on what kind of surface, under what conditions.

4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    I suppose you could come up with a wild estimate of the answer by estimating the force applied by the walker's feet in order to maintain a constant velocity. If there were no friction, then once he got going he'd just coast along at a constant speed (like an ice skater), so whatever force he's applying could be thought of as the force needed to overcome friction.

Of course, the real story is much more complicated than that, but it's a start, at least.

5. Jul 28, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

If there was no friction, he couldn't get going in the first place. :tongue:

6. Jul 30, 2007 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Not unless he had something to throw!

Claude.

7. Jul 30, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I always keep a halibut around for just that purpose...

edit: Lest anyone thinks that I'm racist, a salmon would work just as well.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?