What is the axis for #21 on Moment of Inertia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter muna580
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Intertia Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
muna580
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1756/untitled2qx1.jpg

I am having trouble with #21. I already did #20, but I have NO idea of how to do #21. First of all, I am not really sure where is the axis suppose to be.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
muna580 said:
I am having trouble with #21. I already did #20, but I have NO idea of how to do #21. First of all, I am not really sure where is the axis suppose to be.

Use the parallel axis theorem. Put the axis through the tip of the arrow in the diagram
 
Acorrding to the parallel axis theorem, you get the inertia by dong this

I = Icm + D^2M

Where Icm is the inertia with respect to the center, and D is the distnance, and M is the mass.

Well, Icm is the answer I got for #20 right?

Also, what do I use for the D? Is D the radius?

Also, what is M? Is M the mass for the hoop plus the mass of all the 4 spokes?
 
muna580 said:
Acorrding to the parallel axis theorem, you get the inertia by dong this

I = Icm + D^2M

Where Icm is the inertia with respect to the center, and D is the distnance, and M is the mass.

Well, Icm is the answer I got for #20 right?

Also, what do I use for the D? Is D the radius?

Also, what is M? Is M the mass for the hoop plus the mass of all the 4 spokes?

Yes. Icm is what you found in #20.

M is the total mass and D is the distance from the center of mass to the point of rotation. In this case, D = radius