What is the balanced equation and kcal/gram for propanol?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formulas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Tak
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to find a balanced equation for Propanol, and in addition - what is the Kcal/gram of Protonal


Homework Equations



I think I'm starting with CH3 CH2 CH2 OH (left side) and CO2 H20 (right side)

The Attempt at a Solution




CH3CH2CH2 OH to 6CO2 2H20 I'm not sure if that balances the equation or not. Additionally I have been trying to find information on Propanal being used as a bio fuel but all the sites I am able to pull up only talk about methanol and ethanol - what am I missing?

Thanks allot





 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you balance a formula, the same number of atoms of each species must be balanced. I notice that you have

[tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-OH \rightarrow\ 6CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]

Is this balanced?
 
OK, so if I count up the atoms in the original formula - CH3 CH2 CH2 OH (left side) and CO2 H20 (right side)

C has 3 on the right 1 on the left
H has 8 on the right 2 on the left
O has 1 on the right 3 on the left

Then to balance is it CH3 CH2 CH2 2OH - 2CO2 4H20 ?
 
Tak said:
Then to balance is it [tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-2OH \rightarrow\ 2CO_2 + 4H_2O[/tex] ?

It should be: [tex]CH_3-CH_2-CH_2-OH \rightarrow\ 2CO_2 + 4H_2O[/tex]
(but something(s) is wrong about it)

The way I see it there are three carbons on the left and 2 on the right.
There are 8 hydrogens on the left and 8 on the right.
There is one oxygen on the left and 8 on the right.

Is this balanced?
 
Last edited:
Propanal / Propanol ?

They are not the same thing, which one is it ?

One is [tex]C_{3}H_{8}O[/tex] propanol (has 2 forms, propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol )

The other is [tex]C_{3}H_{6}O[/tex] propanal


Before you even start balancing you need to know which chemical you actualy mean. From contact of burning of fuels I assume it is propanol and propan-1-ol at that.


P.S. What else is needed to make fire ... fuel + ?
 
Last edited: