What is the best book for self-teaching Calculus?

In summary, I think it is important to ask why you need to become familiar and how familiar is very. If you are only interested in applications to physics and engineering etc. you will probably want to take a much different route than you would if you are starting a B.S. in Mathematics in the fall and want to get a head start. A first course in calculus by Lang is a good choice for someone starting out.
Mr. Ryan
I have absolutely no doubt this question has been asked many times over, so I apologize in advance for that. This is my first day with the forums. The question is pretty much self explanatory. I need to become very familiar with Calculus over this summer, and I am already looking at the Calculus Lifesaver by Adrian Banner. Is that a good choice? Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a more mathematical treatise, I recommend "A first course in calculus" by Lang. It's fairly rigorous, but not too difficult since he leaves out the highly technical bits.

I hope you're very familiar with algebra and trig, because you're going to need it a lot.

Mr. Ryan said:
I need to become very familiar with Calculus over this summer

I think it is important to ask why you need to become familiar and how familiar is very. If you are only interested in applications to physics and engineering etc. you will probably want to take a much different route than you would if you are starting a B.S. in Mathematics in the fall and want to get a head start.

DrewD said:
I think it is important to ask why you need to become familiar and how familiar is very.

I will not be working toward a B.S. in Mathematics. I am soon to be working toward a B.S. in Physics. I am strong in both Trig and Algebra, but I did not want to have to learn Calculus and Physics side by side.

DrewD said:
I think it is important to ask why you need to become familiar and how familiar is very. If you are only interested in applications to physics and engineering etc. you will probably want to take a much different route than you would if you are starting a B.S. in Mathematics in the fall and want to get a head start.

I too need to learn calculus, but I need to learn the areas of it that apply to engineering students. What do you suggest as a learning resource for someone that wants to start learning calculus this fall after I finish my algebra and trig workbooks. (I am 27 and returning to college so I am relearning the basics to build upon.)

1. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a calculus self-teaching book?

A good calculus self-teaching book should cover topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus in real-life problems. It should also include a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts and their applications.

2. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of algebra and precalculus before starting a calculus self-teaching book?

While it is not mandatory, having a strong foundation in algebra and precalculus can make understanding calculus concepts easier. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of these subjects before delving into calculus.

3. Are there any interactive exercises or practice problems included in a calculus self-teaching book?

Many calculus self-teaching books include interactive exercises and practice problems to help reinforce the concepts learned. These exercises can also provide an opportunity to apply the concepts to real-world problems.

4. Can a calculus self-teaching book be used as a substitute for a traditional classroom course?

A calculus self-teaching book can be a helpful supplement to a traditional classroom course, but it may not be sufficient to fully replace it. Classroom courses provide a structured learning environment and the opportunity for interaction with an instructor and peers, which may be beneficial for some learners.

5. What are some recommended calculus self-teaching books for beginners?

Some popular calculus self-teaching books for beginners include "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, "Calculus Essentials For Dummies" by Mark Ryan, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and level of understanding.