What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
OmCheeto said:
It made me cry that smart people actually listened to Kottke tunes here some years ago when I first arrived.
Kottke is willing to spend time exploring alternate tunings and combine slide and fingering to produce music that often seems more complex than it is. I learned the tuning that Zep's Black Mountainside was played in many years ago, and once I got familiar with it, I whipped up a very lively short instrumental number that I'd use to close out all my sets as I took a break. People would find it strangely familiar, and ask who wrote and performed it first. I'd explain to the nice people, but not to the cocky people.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Kottke is willing to spend time exploring alternate tunings and combine slide and fingering to produce music that often seems more complex than it is. I learned the tuning that Zep's Black Mountainside was played in many years ago, and once I got familiar with it, I whipped up a very lively short instrumental number that I'd use to close out all my sets as I took a break. People would find it strangely familiar, and ask who wrote and performed it first. I'd explain to the nice people, but not to the cocky people.

You should record it and post on Youtube.
 
turbo-1 said:
Out on the tiles isn't too easy, either, if you're tying to put it together with people who are used to even meters.



OMG! What's up with all the long hair?

Lol, mines at around 13", so don't freak. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
just rediscovered this band... still really good :) makes me happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJ-MlMIAjc&ob=av2em
 


My boy from Toronto. What you guys think? He's about to drop a mixtape in the spring time, should grab a copy. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Out on the tiles isn't too easy, either, if you're tying to put it together with people who are used to even meters.

All Led Z is good. This is a great song. Thanks for reminding me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin_Axion said:
Zomg, you're from Toronto?
well Mississauga... close enough :p Normally on the internet I just say toronto because people actually know where that is.

Right now however I'm in Peterborough.
 
Awesome, I'm in Mississauga right now.

Here are two good songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKZMMmN8mDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHj9gTAJpqc
 
Surface of the Sun- John Murphy

What an amazing piece, this is.
 
Shad is actually amazing, I can't stop listening to him, the last song is especially good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQZ2g1s8e4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5xux2Mp77Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIoOWA7sH8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phb0R-n_5g0
 
Thanks for those, Kevin. I've never heard of Shad, he's really good.
 
This song has been bouncing around my head for a while now...I swear I thought I posted it here but I can't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNvQMJ7N0s
 
My two new favorite songs!

December
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAkTyprC_o

Marry Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ess2qlVHl6E
 
Last edited:
OK now I'm on a Fleetwood Mac kick...Sara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOBnmXFDtQ&feature=related
 
A very young Janis Joplin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddrfQnKKdQ&NR=1
 
lisab said:
OK now I'm on a Fleetwood Mac kick...Sara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOBnmXFDtQ&feature=related

A good song to play after a long day. She sings good.
 
While exploring Laura Gibson, I found this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OhQ5llkBYg
 
Being an avid Pink Floyd fan, this has to be my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYVNPcYDfFQ
 
rootX said:
While exploring Laura Gibson, I found this one.

She also sings a song called "All The Pretty Horses" that has some very old roots back to the slave days. It's a lullaby the black nanny would sing to the white slave owner's children when she was wondering how her own baby was doing back in the shanty. Lots of people have sung it, but I think Odetta was the first to record it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7QXidR_Aks

Kind of downer lyrics for lullaby. Definite passive-aggressive tendencies there.

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little horses.
Blacks and bays, dapples and greys,
Go to sleepy you little baby,
Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby,
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little horses.
Way down yonder, down in the meadow,
There's a poor wee little lamby.
The bees and the butterflies pickin' at its eyes,
The poor wee thing cried for her mammy.
Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little horses.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
This song has been bouncing around my head for a while now...I swear I thought I posted it here but I can't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNvQMJ7N0s

I think Stevie Nick's unique voice had a lot to do with Fleetwood Mac's pop appeal, but I always like the voice of Christine Perfect McVie.

(I also like the very early Fleetwood Mac songs turbo posted some time ago in this thread - especially Albatross.)
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_Z3X1jTrw&feature=related
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zM9pZzt0U

Paco de Lucia, best guitarist ever.
 
OK, I think I figured out how you all embed the youtube links. I really like this guy Mark Erelli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeE8y8vzEI

The youtube clips I've seen are pretty rough and don't seem to capture his live performance - I've seen him a few times and he's really good, really connects with the audience. Plus he plays some weird guitars which is fun to hear/see. His CDs are very well done.
 
gmax137 said:
OK, I think I figured out how you all embed the youtube links. I really like this guy Mark Erelli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeE8y8vzEI

The youtube clips I've seen are pretty rough and don't seem to capture his live performance - I've seen him a few times and he's really good, really connects with the audience. Plus he plays some weird guitars which is fun to hear/see. His CDs are very well done.

I like him, too - especially Volunteers. There's some other good performances from other artists on that Don Was series. Jonnel Mosser's performance was another real good one.
 
Another freedom song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Wig_vHUVc