Strange or bizarre covers of Best Songs .

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: I guess I didn't strictly follow the specifications for this thread. What's "strange and bizarre" to some is creative and original to others. I'm always interested in listening to something new and trying to understand what's in their head.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Strange or bizarre covers of "Best Songs".

Occasionally, one hears a rather strange, even bizarre cover, of an older "best song". That's what this thread is for.

The idea is that if you find a strange, or incongruous cover of one of the songs in the "Best Songs Ever" thread, you can post it here. :biggrin:

Here's the case that made me think of creating this thread:

1) The original: Deep Purple, "Child in Time", which I already posted in the "Best Songs Ever" thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4280762&postcount=2717

2) The cover: Gregorian:

To my ear, it starts off sounding ok, but as soon as the first guy starts singing I think "whaaaaat!?". But then it kinda grows on me -- a bit. Still, I find it quite strange, although other youtube commenters loved it.

So... if anyone knows of other such strange covers, please post them here. But note the format: you've got to link to an existing post in the "Best Songs Ever" thread for the original, and then link to the cover version.

But note: this thread is not for versions that are merely performed by incompetent musicians.
E.g., the Gregorian guys above are obviously very skilled in their genre. Nevertheless, there's
a distinct strangeness about it (or so I think).

[Evo: if you think this should be absorbed into the "Best Songs Ever" thread instead of being separate, that's ok with me. I just figured the BSE thread was already rather large. :smile:]

P.S., the double-entendre between this thread title and my username is intentional,
i.e., "Strange Representations".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwpD79zATo

"Oy to the World, a Klezmer Christmas", by the Klezmonauts. (In actuality, jingle writer Paul Libman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjlT3Q42gA8

No, it's not some elf from Santa Clause's toy factory. Her You Tube moniker is vkgoeswild. She's an award winning classically trained concert pianist from Kiev who interprets rock and metal.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
"Oy to the World, a Klezmer Christmas", by the Klezmonauts. (In actuality, jingle writer Paul Libman)

Would they consider a cover of Oy Como Va?

ImaLooser said:
[The Residents "Can't get no satisfaction"]
:eek: Bloody hell!? That's way beyond bizarre. I can't even think of an appropriate adjective. :uhh:

SW VandeCarr said:
Her You Tube moniker is vkgoeswild. She's an award winning classically trained concert pianist from Kiev who interprets rock and metal.
Yeah, I noticed a couple of her other youtube covers previously. Obviously very talented, and parts of her interpretation sound quite good to my ear -- but other parts sound lame, even awful.

strangerep said:
Yeah, I noticed a couple of her other youtube covers previously. Obviously very talented, and parts of her interpretation sound quite good to my ear -- but other parts sound lame, even awful.

Covers of pop songs by classical musicians can be pretty lame. The trouble is that most pop music depends on lyrics for development. That is, the only difference between the verses is the lyrics. So lose the lyrics and all of the verses sound exactly the same.

There are some covers by classical musicians I quite like but I don't find them strange or bizarre.

strangerep said:
:eek: Bloody hell!? That's way beyond bizarre. I can't even think of an appropriate adjective. :uhh:

Thanks for the support! It's nice once in a while...

strangerep said:

Are you talking about this particular cover or others? Her covers of this group are quite popular for a YT poster. This cover has just under 2 million hits while "Toxicity" has over 4 million hits. I don't judge music by the number of YT hits (otherwise I would love Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift), but it is an indication she's reaching people.

ImaLooser said:
Covers of pop songs by classical musicians can be pretty lame. The trouble is that most pop music depends on lyrics for development. That is, the only difference between the verses is the lyrics. So lose the lyrics and all of the verses sound exactly the same.

There are some covers by classical musicians I quite like but I don't find them strange or bizarre.

I guess I didn't strictly follow the specifications for this thread. What's "strange and bizarre" to some is creative and original to others. I'm always interested in listening to something new and trying to to understand what's in their head.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
strangerep said:
Are you talking about this particular cover or others?
My comment applies to the 3 I've listened to. In one of them, I couldn't even tolerate listening all the way to the end.

ImaLooser said:
[...]There are some covers by classical musicians I quite like but I don't find them strange or bizarre.
I guess I didn't strictly follow the specifications for this thread. What's "strange and bizarre" to some is creative and original to others.
Indeed, part of my reason for creating this thread was exactly that: i.e., to discover what other people find "strange and bizarre" (or which I find thus, but others don't).

Actually,... that means it should be encouraged for other posters to say whether they also find any particular post "strange and bizarre", or if you disagree and find it ok. So far, no one has said whether they agree or disagree with my sentiments in the original post. I'd be interested to know.

strangerep said:
My comment applies to the 3 I've listened to. In one of them, I couldn't even tolerate listening all the way to the end.

Indeed, part of my reason for creating this thread was exactly that: i.e., to discover what other people find "strange and bizarre" (or which I find thus, but others don't).

Actually,... that means it should be encouraged for other posters to say whether they also find any particular post "strange and bizarre", or if you disagree and find it ok. So far, no one has said whether they agree or disagree with my sentiments in the original post. I'd be interested to know.

So far I seem to be King of the Bizarros. You've already got my best shot. You want more bizarritude, just let me know.

strangerep said:

Well, your first post doesn't sound strange or bizarre to my ear at all. Gregorian chants by Benedictine monks have scored popular success in the past as have electronic rock groups like Enigma.

SW VandeCarr said:
Well, your first post doesn't sound strange or bizarre to my ear at all. Gregorian chants by Benedictine monks have scored popular success in the past as have electronic rock groups like Enigma.
Umm, you listened to the Deep Purple original too, right?

strangerep said:

OK, so they are very different. What's strange about that? It happens all the time.

Wanna hear "Highway Star" by a middle-aged Japanese man with a pot belly and dressed like a king? He's pretty good.

strangerep said:

Yes.

ImaLooser said:
OK, so they are very different. What's strange about that?
Interesting how different people have such different perceptions of what's "strange" or "bizarre". I wonder whether it's correlated with other psychological or personality traits.

Big Yellow Taxi doesn't seem to be in the "Best Songs Ever" thread.

This is one of the strange cases where the cover maybe better than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSmYHEpn7w

George Jones said:
Big Yellow Taxi doesn't seem to be in the "Best Songs Ever" thread.
Hmm, well since you haven't posted it there I guess it's not on your "best songs" list? In any case, the format instructions in this thread need to be modified...

So... if the original is not in the "Best Songs Ever" thread, then it can be linked directly here, along with the "strange" or "bizarre" cover. :smile:

BB Gabor's somewhat strange cover

e_m-KdRyX24[/youtube] of Joni Mi...rums.com/showthread.php?p=4361662#post4361662

I'm not sure the original qualifies as a "best song" but Alanis Morissette covered the Black Eye's Peas "My Humps".

Choppy said:
I'm not sure the original qualifies as a "best song" but Alanis Morissette covered the Black Eye's Peas "My Humps".

Good Lord. The Apocalypse is upon us.

My Humps actually won some sort of song of the year award.

ImaLooser said:
Good Lord. The Apocalypse is upon us.

My Humps actually won some sort of song of the year award.

"Music critics responded negatively to the song, deeming it a repetitive and puerile form of "sexual titillation"". Wiki (Black Eyed Peas version)

Butt it won the MTV award for "Best Hip Hop Video".

Last edited:
George Jones said:
BB Gabor's somewhat strange cover [...] of Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi.
That sounds "strange" to my ear too.

Still... it was smooth enough that I was able to listen without difficulty all the way to the end. :smile:

SW VandeCarr said:
"Music critics responded negatively to the song, deeming it a repetitive and puerile form of "sexual titillation"". Wiki (Black Eyed Peas version)

Actually it is quite wordy, and the words are pretty good. That's why AM sings it. It's a depiction of reality, like it or not. It is not endorsing reality.

That being said, I watch only South Korean videos these days. The dance is so much better. This AM video looks Stone Age in comparison.

ImaLooser said:
Actually it is quite wordy, and the words are pretty good. That's why AM sings it. It's a depiction of reality, like it or not. It is not endorsing reality.

Hip-hop is wordy. It's all about the lyrics which are typically heavily rhymed and accented with the main beat or syncopated. The music is usually minimalist. The lyrics in this song are about exploitation. With Fergie, it's bilateral. She isn't slugging anyone although she warns about "drama". With AM, there's "drama".

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37dw2r45Xzg

Leon Russell wrote and first performed "A Song for You" in 1970. It has since become an iconic classic covered by numerous artists including soul singer Donny Hathaway, Ray Charles and Karen Carpenter. Amy Winehouse recorded her version in a single take in the attic of her London home in 2009. She never sang it in public. Her producer later added the music background and included it in her posthumous album released Dec, 2011. It has been described as "raw" and "drenched in emotion". You might or might not consider it strange or bizarre, but this particular YT poster matched it to a live performance, probably in 2007. That is strange and bizarre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjMmu6FpVDE

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApMSPx6lgio

Dread Zeppelin...Led Zeppelin covered by a reggae band who's lead singer is an Elvis impersonator. Everything sounds cool, until Elvis starts up.

Last edited:
The Beatles Covered Metallica??

Here's a weird one...

Did one of you guys build a time machine, because here's a video of the Beatles covering a song that was written over a decade after they actually performed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAht5X3Bhw

I find this cover bizarre and hilarious, like the guy doesn't understand that, sung by a guy, the song loses it's whole edge. (Or maybe he does.)

1. What makes a cover song strange or bizarre?

A cover song can be considered strange or bizarre if it deviates significantly from the original version in terms of style, genre, or arrangement. This can include unusual instrument choices, unconventional vocal techniques, or unexpected changes in tempo or rhythm.

2. Why do artists choose to create strange or bizarre covers of popular songs?

Artists may choose to create strange or bizarre covers of popular songs as a way to showcase their creativity and stand out from other artists. It can also be a way to pay homage to the original song while putting a unique spin on it.

3. Are there any scientific studies on the impact of strange or bizarre covers on listeners?

There have been some studies on the effects of music on the brain, but there is limited research specifically on the impact of strange or bizarre covers on listeners. However, it is believed that these types of covers can evoke a strong emotional response and may even be more memorable than the original version.

4. How do strange or bizarre covers impact the music industry?

Strange or bizarre covers can bring attention to both the original song and the artist creating the cover. They can also spark discussions and debates among listeners, which can generate buzz and potentially increase sales and streams for both versions of the song.

5. Can strange or bizarre covers be considered a form of art?

Yes, strange or bizarre covers can be considered a form of art. They require creativity, skill, and interpretation of the original song. Just like any other form of art, they can also be subjective and evoke different emotions and reactions from different individuals.