What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
lisab said:
Another freedom song.

K'naan is awesome. I like this song even better. When I first heard it I got chills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8FV4JWDg18
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
K'naan is awesome. I like this song even better. When I first heard it I got chills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8FV4JWDg18

Me too!
 
Most people here seem to have their grounds in more classic sounds. Sorry but I will have to break that. Here is a minimalistic mixture of electronic and post-rock. I just love music with electronic elements in. Makes the sound so spacy..

Faunts - M4 part II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc
 
The Best Song Ever :D!
I saw this in the comments, he does look exactly like Samuel Clemens and Einstein combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI
 
Last edited:
Kevin_Axion said:
The Best Song Ever :D!
I saw this in the comments, he does look exactly like Samuel Clemens and Einstein combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for this, but I like the Apocalyptica version better.
 
Orion by metallica, gives me goosebumps and takes me away!
RIP cliff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4mb_BnKP1A&feature=fvst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4mb_BnKP1A


Also ( and a bit different)..but 'Requiem for a dream' by The London Ensemble...really affects me...and the movie scared me off drugs forever! The song I'll play at my funeral (bit morbid I know but truly a moving song).
Don't have link for it but you should definitely check it out.
PS I don't really know how the youtube wrap thing works but here goes!

EDIT= I had a youtube epic fail :-/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado Springs. A great town and a great song, both!

(Have to love the kissing camels.)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozdRY-ipbs

Actually, I have to admit her Oklahoma City song is better. (Ha! Where'd all the trees come from around the Cowboy Hall of Fame sign? When I visited, there were only tiny little saplings.)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fziBV9NjoFk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to play this on piano, at about 00:29 I realized you need four hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kql_ztVUjOA
 
I just learned this on piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0
 

mbv-LcdLY-Y[/youtube] [MEDIA=youtube]wsnMFfMmV8I[/MEDIA]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpD75bN-n4

Something about hugging trees, snow, bright sunshine, rain, and a crazy weatherfront heading this way, made me love this old song again a few minutes ago.

:blushing:
 
ThomasT said:


I like this song by The Pretenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avMwkOnv6j0

Or, maybe this version better. It's a song about my old home town. In fact, I went to the same high school Chrissie Hynde went to, except she's a few years older than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA56J8zlAdo

There's a funny story about Limbaugh using that song as his opening theme. He used it without permission and things were fine for years until he decided to brag about it and make fun of her being a vegetarian and a PETA supporter. She sued him for copyright violations and they eventually settled out of court with Limbaugh having to make annual donations to PETA in order to keep using the song.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
I like this song by The Pretenders
Me too. Thanks for posting it.
...
BobG said:
There's a funny story about Limbaugh using that song as his opening theme. He used it without permission and things were fine for years until he decided to brag about it and make fun of her being a vegetarian and a PETA supporter. She sued him for copyright violations and they eventually settled out of court with Limbaugh having to make annual donations to PETA in order to keep using the song.
:smile:
 
Ricky and Tony. Two of the best.



Patty Loveless, Ricky, and Vince Gill the closet bass player!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's very icy on the roads in my teeny little part of the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M&feature=related

...and because I see my daughter tomorrow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Nj5xLuT6c&feature=related
 
lisab said:
Because it's very icy on the roads in my teeny little part of the world...

...and because I see my daughter tomorrow..

... and because it's weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR8jOJZERhs
 
Here are two more I just began learning on piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-TrAvp_xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaGzzFmUKo
 
Kevin_Axion said:
Here are two more I just began learning on piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaGzzFmUKo
This is one of my favorites by Satie. Just beautiful stuff. This is a really well played version I think. But I'm no expert.

When I was much much younger I used to learn Satie, Ravel, DeBussy, Bach, Beethoven, etc. measure by measure with no formal training. Of course, even when I hit all the right notes I'm pretty sure I wasn't interpreting the music quite right.

The beauty is in the subleties of the attacks and resonances.

Anyway, I can identify with your affinity for this stuff and what I suppose to be what you're experiencing in wanting to, and trying to learn to, play it really well.
 
Last edited:
Here's Ravel playing his Jeaux D'eau.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
Here's Ravel playing his Jeaux D'eau.



Very beautiful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A particularly nice version of Debussy's Claire de Lune. I used to, 40-45 years ago, get the Musical Heritage Society discs to the good stuff, and the sheet music, and work through it measure by measure. This was great music 100 years ago, it's great music now, and I'm guessing that it will be considered great music for as long as human beings are playing and listening to music.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love listening to that song and playing it, it's so soothing, like sitting lake-side with the moon and stars hanging above you and glistening on the water. It makes me happy.
 
Kevin_Axion said:
I absolutely love listening to that song and playing it, it's so soothing, like sitting lake-side with the moon and stars hanging above you and glistening on the water. It makes me happy.
Me too. Great stuff. But when I play it I always make some little mistake that pisses me off. So, when I really want some sublime peace, I just listen to the masters. God save the internet (and the recording industry -- except for their rather high prices). (I'm an atheist, by the way.) :smile:

Anyway, your musical avocation (or is it your profession) will, I think, serve you well for the entirety of your life.

What are some more of your favorites?
 
I'm an atheist too, and I just began taking lessons but I learn more advanced songs for fun. I'm also in grade 11 so this isn't my job :smile:.
Here's a list of my favourites:

Vladimir Horowitz - Chopin Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53:
Beethoven's Tempest Sonata mvt. 3 -- Wilhelm Kempff:
Wilhelm Kempff plays Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg&feature=related
Vladimir Horowitz - Variation on a theme of Bizet's - Carmen:
Vladimir Horowitz - Chopin Piano Sonata No. 2:
Horowitz plays Chopin Ballade 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhnRIuGZ_dc&feature=related
Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1:
Erik Satie - Gnossienne No.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0&feature=related
Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 3:
Erik Satie "Gnossienne No. 4" (1891):
Clair de Lune:
Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545: (part 1), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4vWzQCQxU&feature=fvwrel (part 2)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 - Andante: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-eLzao63I&feature=related
Mozart - Requiem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI&feature=related
Mozart - Lacrimosa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-TrAvp_xs&feature=related
Mozart-The Marriage of Figaro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZCypLcGw (for fun!)
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2 (Arthur Rubinstein):

Chopin's Op.25 No.12 'Ocean' Etude:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony 40 in G min KV 550:
Beethoven Symphony 9 in D minor Op. 125:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OMXkiPu8Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9tJjrxTA2I&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sCwyjAhhU&feature=fvwrel
(Sony took down the rest of the symphony, there should be no restriction on historical pieces.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin_Axion said:
I'm an atheist too, and I just began taking lessons but I learn more advanced songs for fun. I'm also in grade 11 so this isn't my job :smile:.
I thought you might be a bit older. I got into the classical stuff after high school. Still young though.

Kevin_Axion said:
Here's a list of my favourites:

Vladimir Horowitz - Chopin Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53:
Beethoven's Tempest Sonata mvt. 3 -- Wilhelm Kempff:
Wilhelm Kempff plays Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg&feature=related
Vladimir Horowitz - Variation on a theme of Bizet's - Carmen:
Vladimir Horowitz - Chopin Piano Sonata No. 2:
Horowitz plays Chopin Ballade 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhnRIuGZ_dc&feature=related
Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1:
Erik Satie - Gnossienne No.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0&feature=related
Erik Satie - Gnossienne No. 3:
Erik Satie "Gnossienne No. 4" (1891):
Clair de Lune:
Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545: (part 1), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4vWzQCQxU&feature=fvwrel (part 2)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 - Andante: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-eLzao63I&feature=related
Mozart - Requiem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI&feature=related
Mozart - Lacrimosa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-TrAvp_xs&feature=related
Mozart-The Marriage of Figaro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZCypLcGw&feature=related (for fun!)
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2 (Arthur Rubinstein):

Chopin's Op.25 No.12 'Ocean' Etude:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony 40 in G min KV 550:
Beethoven Symphony 9 in D minor Op. 125:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OMXkiPu8Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9tJjrxTA2I&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sCwyjAhhU&feature=fvwrel
(Sony took down the rest of the symphony, there should be no restriction on historical pieces.
Thanks for the list. Mozart hasn't been one of my favorites. However it's almost a certainty that I might be missing something and still have a lot to learn. No doubt he was supremely talented. Maybe I'm just jealous. Anyway, though I've heard some (most?) of the stuff here, there are probably links to music that I've either not listened to yet, or not listened to closely enough.

I notice you've listed some Chopin. A particular favorite of mine, after the French Impressionists -- and Bach. The 'Revolutionary' Etude was somewhat difficult to learn to play well. All of the compositions present particular technical hurdles (little 'Everests' in a manner of speaking -- sort of like solving integrals in the early days, but more difficult).

Anyway, thanks again for the list. It will keep me in great music for the foreseeable future (I'm 64 so I don't project too far ahead).
And keep practicing! You'll be glad that you did when you get to be my age. :smile:
Cheers
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mozart like most composers is either deeply enjoyed or disliked. I very much enjoy his music but there are some songs that I don't.