What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Here's another blast from the past - Chuck Berry stole a lot of licks and showmanship (like playing his guitar in odd positions and dancing around on stage) from him, and today there are people like Kid Ramos (former lead player for the Fabulous Thunderbirds) carrying on the West Coast style. The artist is the highly influential T-Bone Walker. This is a relatively low-key tune. I have a lot of his stuff, and he really ripped it up at times, but I couldn't find links to any more.

[MEDIA=youtube]m1vGnF9ZUpw[/MEDIA][/URL]

And here's a link where you can hear samples of songs from Kid Ramos' "West Coast House Party"

[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004W5D8/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gotta add some Gordon Lightfoot
2 of my favorites...

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald:
[MEDIA=youtube]RvKYRLtyjzw[/MEDIA][/URL]

Sundown:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Rd8GoDfWpsw[/MEDIA][/URL]

-GeoMike-
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shpongle. This song isn't my favorite, but still great.

[MEDIA=youtube]o1jPeG1LlaQ[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GluonZ said:
Shpongle. This song isn't my favorite, but still great.

[MEDIA=youtube]o1jPeG1LlaQ[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

Nice! Another goa/psytrance fan. :biggrin:

I'll add Juno Reactor - Pistolero, one of their best songs:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]G-rC9MSNKsM[/MEDIA][/URL]

-GeoMike-
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting impatient. How about getting four great singers together to sing a song. (Great mustaches - :smile: )

[MEDIA=youtube]6gOm__oZL5g[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving on a Jet Plane by, get this, John Denver and Mama Cass
[MEDIA=youtube]VVyMGfcV4uA[/MEDIA][/URL]

And, Annie's Song, by Denver.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]hBSusfv2m_8[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[MEDIA=youtube]KwXTWNfUxvY[/MEDIA][/URL]

Giant solo Dream Theater did mid-concert. (Dream Theater like to vary their concerts a lot)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Helplessly Hoping by CSN. A couple of my friends and I used to get together with our acoustic guitars and try to get some of their numbers down. The results were generally disappointing because our harmonies weren't up to this standard.

[MEDIA=youtube]ArczUVXrODQ[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
I'm getting impatient. How about getting four great singers together to sing a song. (Great mustaches - :smile: )

:smile: I was sure this was a lead up to a Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young song. Oh well, while we're on the topic (along with turbo's link), might as well...

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Eric Clapton doing an old blues tune - "Matchbox". You've got a country guy with a tinge of rock, the original rockabilly master, and the reigning blues/rock guitarist together on one stage. I would love to have been there for the rehearsals! Check out Clapton's interpretation of a rockabilly guitar lead.

[MEDIA=youtube]9dJARoP5U2A[/MEDIA][/URL]

Edit: Here is another clip with Derek and the Dominos leading into Matchbox. You've got to love Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, the Smothers Brothers, etc, for insisting on live performances on their shows when the standard at the time was still lip-synching.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Q1fXhLVaBBY[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's a classic from Boomtown Rats:
[MEDIA=youtube]gDRxCV8u_S4[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Well, here's a classic from Boomtown Rats:
[MEDIA=youtube]gDRxCV8u_S4[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]


That song is based on a real sad fact

One of the catchiest songs of the 80s:

Come on Eileen- Dexy's Midnight runners

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]QbSwYRUpnc8[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hypnagogue said:
The Velvet Underground

Venus in Furs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HeOLR2xOHSA

Definitely merits "best songs ever" status.

And some live Velvet Underground stuff I managed to dig up on youtube...

I'm Waiting for My Man - a soft acoustic / piano version
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5rhiqI6PlTo

Heroin
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aXbgdj1Pd_w

Venus in Furs (live)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ayZ8SlU-OuQ

Awesome, any recommendations on VU stuff to get? I only have The Velvet Underground and Nico. (The one with the banana on the front.):cool:
 
If you're looking for a sound similar to The Velvet Underground & Nico, you should go with White Light/White Heat. Their other two albums, The Velvet Underground and Loaded, are both great but abandon some of the more experimental, harsh, and jam-ish aspects of the first two. The Velvet Underground (self-titled album) is slower, softer and more contemplative on the whole. Loaded, their last album, has a more traditional and polished pop-rockish sound. Although Loaded sounds rather different from the previous albums, I'd say it's a must have. But really, if you like their first album, I think it's worth it to get all of the other three as well.
 
I hate to think of how many times l listened to this one...well DSOTM

Breathe - Floyd
[MEDIA=youtube]lvkPKyMswUo[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
I hate to think of how many times l listened to this one...well DSOTM

Breathe - Floyd
[MEDIA=youtube]lvkPKyMswUo[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
Nobody I know likes that song...:confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't watch this if you like cute animals!

[MEDIA=youtube]zoIOTbWSVDg[/MEDIA][/URL]

Hunted by a Freak by Mogwai, one of the best British bands from the last 10 years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater
[MEDIA=youtube]P__vSPoUC48[/MEDIA][/URL] Part 1
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]s2o4qRdiDoE[/MEDIA][/URL] Part 2

Part of Hell's Kitchen.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]4rMcJdxcJvg[/MEDIA][/URL] I just love how crisp and sharp his drums sound.

Cannon in D(Ouble Bass)
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]1IW71M5ND_s[/MEDIA][/URL] - I just think this is really cool :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For Turbo:

Allison Krauss and Union Station performing Man of Constant Sorrow.
[MEDIA=youtube]o6ilN4cFmjk[/MEDIA][/URL]

gives me chills.:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
For Turbo:

Allison Krauss and Union Station performing Man of Constant Sorrow.
[MEDIA=youtube]o6ilN4cFmjk[/MEDIA][/URL]

gives me chills.:smile:[/QUOTE]Yes! Dan Tyminski is a great singer and flatpicker and Jerry Douglas (who has his own band, but often appears with AKUS) has got to be the best dobro player ever. Thanks for the video. AKUS has a live 2-CD set that just kills, and I have a couple of live CDs of Tony Rice with Allison in the band. There is some serious talent in that group of folks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video of Jerry Douglas' band doing a snappy instumental called "Patrick Meets the Brickbats". Note to Allison - it does not seem to have effected his fiddle-playing, but do not get the spiked mohawk.

[MEDIA=youtube]LDLgedB70IQ[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And one of the best singer-songwriters in the business - Marc Cohn. This is one of his better-known songs, though by far not his best work. I have "Marc Cohn", "The Rainy Season", and "Burnin' the Daze" and there is not a clunker to be found on any of the CDs.

[MEDIA=youtube]mEIqA8-HNgU[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
I hate to think of how many times l listened to this one...well DSOTM

Breathe - Floyd
[MEDIA=youtube]lvkPKyMswUo[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

finally a man with taste :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
finally a man with taste :smile:
if its pink floyd were talking about, i think the best are: time, wish you were here, hey you, the trail.

i just started listening to king crimson they are AMAZING, and to think that they are from the 70's.. they play heavy rock, which probably mean that the style of today was shaped a lot by them...
 
I like Velvet underground very much, but British music is what is moving me most at the moment, as I'm missing the UK! Waterloo Sunset, Sympathy for the devil, Gimme Shelter and the Pink Floyd songs were touching, also, I listened to a lot of Belle and Sebastian living there, so humour me: [MEDIA=youtube]3HCox24nrlk[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator: