What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
turbo-1 said:
Here is a video of Jerry Douglas' band doing a snappy instumental called "Patrick Meets the Brickbats". Note to Allison - it does not seem to have effected his fiddle-playing, but do not get the spiked mohawk.

[MEDIA=youtube]LDLgedB70IQ[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
Wow! Mad skillz!
Reminds me of those old Andy Griffith show episodes with the Darling family musical numbers -- Briscoe Darling would say, "Jes jump in where you can, Sheriff, and try ta' hang on!":biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Wow! Mad skillz!
Reminds me of those old Andy Griffith show episodes with the Darling family musical numbers -- Briscoe Darling would say, "Jes jump in where you can, Sheriff, and try ta' hang on!":biggrin:
Briscoe Darling - "Alright boys! Slimey River Bottom!"

Charlene Darling - "No, Pa! That one makes me cry!"

BTW, the band of slack-jawed silent "boys" was played by The Dillards. The talent was real
 
Last edited:
The Clash:
Best armadillo in the world! :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]KnUHs0hepaQ[/MEDIA][/URL]

"Should I stay or should I go":
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]qpB7jzALtYQ[/MEDIA][/URL]

"London Calling"
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]giMDOZdpanA[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Briscoe Darling - "Alright boys! Slimey River Bottom!"

Charlene Darling - "No, Pa! That one makes me cry!"
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 
A great song from Chris de Burgh, "Don't pay the Ferry-man":
[MEDIA=youtube]JQ7ukCJifew[/MEDIA][/URL]

And a classic from Roxy Music:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]1ZBY2ge_3R4[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another great group: Supertramp

"It's raining again"
[MEDIA=youtube]VAB6pxCRzrA[/MEDIA][/URL]
"The logical song":
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]pBAasek8NR4[/MEDIA][/URL]



This clip is ONLY for the ladies of PF:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]0CE3GkyAjac[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Yet another great group: Supertramp

"It's raining again"
[MEDIA=youtube]VAB6pxCRzrA[/MEDIA][/URL]
"The logical song":
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]pBAasek8NR4[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

What a coinkidink. I just got my Best of Supertramp CD in the mail last Monday and have been listening to it all week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What an enviable week you've had! :smile:
 
[MEDIA=youtube]4NkueZm1SfE[/MEDIA][/URL]

Dream Theater - Hell's Kitchen, one of their older songs. Really good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, especially for 'London Calling', Arildno
 
Okay, this might not reach quite up to "the best songs ever", but it is at least the best song ever made by Culture Club:
[MEDIA=youtube]kfMmnlU8agw[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-460158242229795839&q=Rudess This is a video of Jordan Rudess, Dream Theater's Keyboardist doing an UNBELIEVABLE solo, everything after 1:50 is AWESOME! (Those cameramen must've been like "omg he has l33t skillz!1one". (The first 1:50mins is great but some people might not like it)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not exactly sure, but I like him better with a shaved head then with his long hair.
 
If you like stuff by the stones, aerosmith or guns n roses you should have a listen to a band called Hanoi Rocks.

They where an awesome band that got struck down just before they made it big when their drummer got killed in a car crash.
 
Holy cow! I just found this one, and though the video quality is poor, the sound is pretty good. Some of the finest rip-em-up bluegrass to be had!

[MEDIA=youtube]yGuKvqShtUo[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andy said:
They where an awesome band that got struck down just before they made it big when their drummer got killed in a car crash.

Speaking of getting struck down before hitting it big:

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a gem:
David Bowie's promotional video from 1971 for his classic album "Hunky Dory", singing one of his best songs ever, Life on Mars:
[MEDIA=youtube]SczS83OGxIw[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure that opera is not the favourite music of most people, but it sure is for me. Here's the one and only Luciano Pavarotti with "Una furtiva lagrima" (basically : "a secret or well hidden tear") :

[MEDIA=youtube]SfxhVFT9b8E[/MEDIA][/URL]

marlon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How 'bout this big time Mozart Action : Queen of the Night from the Magic Flute. This entire opera is just a sequence of musical masterpieces...

[MEDIA=youtube]uUEbgNS15dw[/MEDIA][/URL]

This is another extract from the Magic Flute with "die drei Knaben" that guide Pamina, Tamino and Papageno. I am the small guy on the right. I WAS 11 BACK THEN :smile:

The soprano is Kathleen Battle, she is hot...

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]frsh7a5nBpY[/MEDIA][/URL]
marlon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We've just had the Jewish new year and soon we'll have Yom Kippur. Every year at this time http://www.blogmusik.net/?urlIdSong=31643" sticks in my head. It's based on a prayer that's recited twice in the new year services and once on Yom Kippur. I'm very secular but both the song and the prayer that inspired it are very touching. Here's a translation of the relevant part of the prayer:
On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed how many will pass from the Earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die at his predestined time and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword, who by beast, who by famine, who by thirst, who by storm, who by plague, who by strangulation, and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquillity and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted.

Congregation aloud, then chazzan:

But REPENTANCE, PRAYER and CHARITY

Remove the Evil of the Decree!

Congregation and chazzan:

For Your Name signifies Your praise: hard to anger and easy to appease, for You do not wish the death of one deserving death, but that he repent from his way and live. Until the day of his death You await him; if he repents You will accept him immediately.

Chazzan:

It is true that You are their Creator and You know their inclination, for they are flesh and blood. A man's origin is from dust and his destiny is back to dust, at risk of his life he earns his bread; he is likened to a broken shard, withering grass, a fading flower, a passing shade, a dissipating cloud, a blowing wind, flying dust, and a fleeting dream.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for posting the opera, and lovely choices. They are hard to match, and there’s so much to choose from, but I can’t help adding some more all the same. Following the lead with Donizetti and Mozart, and adding Bizet, here are
Bizet,
[MEDIA=youtube]MIAOyD1aTc8[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]JK-3XCQ5cOM[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=Teresa%20Berganza%20Placido%20Domingo%20Carmen%20Georges%20Bizet%20opera[/URL]
sublime Mozart, [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]zEDnmGnYb6I[/MEDIA][/URL]
and [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]wd5nFd3utLg[/MEDIA][/URL]
and Donizetti, the sextet,
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]cHoXW_FYmNc[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd had to go quickly, forgot to add that I liked Yonoz's song and it was nice to learn about, and also, was that really Marlon as a child? Sweet.
 
fi said:
and also, was that really Marlon as a child?

Yes

Sweet.

Thanks
 
Show me heaven...by Tina arena

A whole new world...Aladdin

Truly Madly Deeply...by cascada

I don't want to miss a thing...Aerosmith

Hero...enrique

Ain't too proud to beg...by rolling stones(although i heard a better version by someone i
don't know)

^ yeah I am a bit of a romantic if u havn't guessed :)


Old time rock n roll...by some guy i can't remember
 
Last edited:
arildno said:
Here's a gem:
David Bowie's promotional video from 1971 for his classic album "Hunky Dory", singing one of his best songs ever, Life on Mars:
[MEDIA=youtube]SczS83OGxIw[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
I was going to put this even before I saw your post. I agree it is a great song, but Bowie doesn't do my favorite version of it. I don't even speak Portugese, but there is a guy named Seu Jorge who did a bunch of Bowie songs in portugese on an acoustic guitar and I love em. Here are my favorites:
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
I was going to put this even before I saw your post. I agree it is a great song, but Bowie doesn't do my favorite version of it. I don't even speak Portugese, but there is a guy named Seu Jorge who did a bunch of Bowie songs in portugese on an acoustic guitar and I love em. Here are my favorites:
"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]
[PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL][/QUOTE]He was on "A Life Aquatic", check out the soundtrack.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few more Bowie classics:
Queen B*tch:
[MEDIA=youtube]NgWA91XZ9WA[/MEDIA][/URL]
Cat People(Putting out Fire) (the best version of course!)
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]ibS4w8U2hJ0[/MEDIA][/URL]
Oh, you Pretty Things:
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]VfJtQUjcQRU[/MEDIA][/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator: