What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 584K views
Actually, when I started this thread, I meant "MY" best songs ever.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bPVde23iE

I suppose that you have never heard neither about the song nor about the group and I don't blame you - but it is cult here.
 
Here's a few more of my best songs ever. Hopefully they're Evo's too. :-p

Lithium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZtjzSZMpY

Love Buzz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puldKBA0Q8M

Spank Thru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PWEIfR2Z4
 
Damn I love the oldies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsUv1vYHKh4

Wait for it...the video gets better.
 
Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy from the last night of the Proms, last weekend.


Interestingly, Helene Grimaud has synesthesia. Like Liszt, Rimsky-Korsakov and Sibelius, she sees colour in sounds, and like Feynman, also graphemes as colour, according to wiki. She sees the Choral Fantasy as ‘a spiral of black, green, red and yellow’.
http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/special/insighttext.htms?ID=grimaud-credo&DETAIL=1
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Listening Wind - Talking Heads

Brian Eno and David Byrne - In the Bush of Ghosts
 
"Crazy On You," by Heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PKULglde8

The beginning is a very awesome instrumental part by Nancy Wilson (who freak'in rocks incidentally).
 
Good boy Kurdt! lol...

Might I add Jemaine Clement (of Flight of the Conchords) as a great singer, he has a huge range...

Oh, and another band I recommend are The Black Keys.
 
What other songs like "Since I've Been Loving You" (Led Zep.) are there? Or other good blues songs?
 
Note: These videos are posted by David Guetta himself on YouTube.com, so no copyright infringement here. Also, for Craig David.

I like a lot of club music (among many other types). David Guetta is definitely up there for me...

The following is Tomorrow Can Wait - David Guetta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zozfL2vf-U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zozfL2vf-U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This song is Love is Gone - David Guetta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/beGjncfEPt8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/beGjncfEPt8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Another song you can try is My Dream is to Fly - David Guetta.

While another good guy for club music is Graig David. Obviously, you have the popular song Hot Stuff. But the following, is also good.

What's Your Flava - Craig David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tV1kSq9vB9c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tV1kSq9vB9c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For rock music, I like Chevelle. Songs you can try by them are Clincher, I Get It, Send Them Below and Vitamin K. You can find them on YouTube. The list of bands I like are long. Everything from heavy Shadows Fall and Atreyu to Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins to American Rejects and Silverstein.

To me, it's the collection that makes it awesome. It would be nearly impossible to only pick 5-10 of them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really like that song of his, "The World Is Mine"...
 
chaoseverlasting said:
What other songs like "Since I've Been Loving You" (Led Zep.) are there? Or other good blues songs?

Hmm...not Zepplin, but Bob Dylan, "Knockin on Heaven's Door."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-5JvACzGp8
 
Bulls on Parade -- Rage Against the Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4
 
Oberst Villa said:
Christina, Andre: I have the highest respect for the contributions of both of you to the forum, and I have in no way the intention to insult you or hurt your feelings, in case you feel strongly about the kind of music you like. But: If your opinions stay unopposed, this fine thread might degenerate into a meeting place for opera-buffs, classical-music-buffs and who-knows-what-else-buffs !

Music is NOT about singing notes that other people cannot sing ! It is about sounds that massage your brain cells and make your neurons fire ! Please have a look at this https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1800580&postcount=746 post and you will understand what I mean (or so I hope) !
Sorry but, Britney spears' new music just makes my brain cells die.
That thing you posted wasn't even a song...the background was. I don't like rap either..well once in a while it's good but other than that 90% is eh... well most of the time I like will smith and then everyone else is the rest.

SSiFASGKjBI[/youtube] Great choice...nging. (The beginning part was funny though)
 
Last edited:
The Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knockin',"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8MvnEVCqM
 
jimmy.neutron said:

Ah, Russian composers. Prokofiev is my favorite. Here is "Montagues and Capulets." P.S.-wait for the good part...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFq7cOVDF0

Just for arguments sake. Compare to John Williams "Imperial March;" I believe there is some inspiration there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7KkFcyOklg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

A beautiful Renaissance Chant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3394/is_3_54/ai_n28864423/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1
This strikes me as a lovely idea.

This is nice to watch too, with visuals appropriate for a physics forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:

A beautiful Renaissance Chant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3394/is_3_54/ai_n28864423/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1
This strikes me as a lovely idea.

This is nice to watch too, with visuals appropriate for a physics forum.


It's beautiful, Fuzzyfelt, albeit that the cultural element may not be appriciated by everybody

I notice from the link:

Nuper rosarum flores has long been known to musicologists and historians of Florence as the brilliant isorhythmic motet commissioned from Guillaume Dufay for the dedication of the new Cathedral of S. Maria del Fiore on March 25, 1436

So how about other very old songs? Scarborough Fair is also rather aged with a rich story line.

Here the version of the Gregorian Masters of Chant, also a very old style of singing:

0cpux9jjHLo[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Andre, for mentioning that about Nuper Rosarum Flores, I always seem to forget to mention important bits!

I think the music is wonderful in itself, and is music celebrating a fascinating moment in history and art, but also as the blurb by the YouTube poster says of the presentation, ‘I found it to be an interesting dichotomy placing such an old piece of music with images that appear futuristic but literally represent a glimpse back in time.’ And, as well, there is the investigation, first published in 1973, countered, and the counter, countered here, that the architectural mathematics of the Duomo (and other ideas included here) are used to create the music.

Thanks for posting ‘Scarborough Fair’, I have had to download it to make it portable, so I can wander away from the computer with it!
 
Viking metal is amazing. Check out Heidevolk, that's a great start.
 
We lost Levi Stubbs - a real talent. If you can remember the first time you heard this song on AM radio, you might be able to remember the rest of the '60s. I LOVED Motown!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is a little more esoteric on my part, but I have also recently come to appreciate The Coral's "In the Morning..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=and I'm sorry
 
turbo-1 said:
We lost Levi Stubbs - a real talent. If you can remember the first time you heard this song on AM radio, you might be able to remember the rest of the '60s. I LOVED Motown!



wow, I didn't know the name of the song, but it's definitely going on my favourite list.

I remember the song quite well..."I'll be there" la la la

four tops song on my favourite list:
 
Last edited by a moderator: