What is the best textbook for understanding differentials?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good textbook on differentials for an upcoming course. The person is not satisfied with the recommended textbook and asks for other suggestions. A few recommendations are provided, including a Dover book, an older book by Ross, and an advanced book by Arnold. The conversation ends with the person expressing their dislike for the subject but finding enjoyment in it through the recommended books.
jhami
Hi,

I am an undergrad looking to purchase a good textbook on differentials for my course which I will be taking soon, and the textbook listed for the differentials course is this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118531779/?tag=pfamazon01-20) which apparently is not very good. So can anyone recommend a good textbook on this subject which teaches the same concepts as this textbook?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a book for differential equations? I like this Dover book. In addition, this is a good book for a begineer. Another good book is this. Fro problems, this is a good book.

Likes l2p2l2t
Yeah, just one with all the same topics in the original textbook i posted.

An older book, would be the one by Ross. I am to lazy to look at the table of contents of your book, But Ross: Differential Equations, is a very good introduction to the subject that also has enough content for a second course. The best book on differential equations is by Arnold, but that's an advance book, and I doubt many undergraduate math majors could grasp it. The author provides proofs when they can be proved at that level. Or he gives an intuitive explanation. Also explains the methods of solutions for non-homogenous solutions, and how to derive them, instead of memorizing a chart, like many current books on ODE do.

I really hated the subject of Differential Equations, I like more pure mathematics, but Ross made me like the subject, and Arnold made me love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BM12I/?tag=pfamazon01-20
That is the link for the Ross book. It's no more than 10 shipped used.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a system over time.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and analyze complex systems. They can help predict the behavior of systems and make accurate predictions about future outcomes.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, PDEs involve multiple independent variables, and SDEs involve random variables.

4. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods such as Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods can also be used depending on the complexity of the equation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations?

To improve your understanding of differential equations, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different techniques. You can also attend lectures or workshops, read textbooks and online resources, and seek help from a mentor or tutor if needed.