1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best textbook for learning C++?

Tags:
  1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    I've taken a class in C++ and we used Bjarne Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++. We only got to the point to where we were just starting to learn about pointers, so I still consider myself a beginner. C++ is my first programming language.

I really like how Bjarne covers a lot of stuff in this book, I just hate how he'll randomly throw functions in that I don't know of without explaining them. It makes it hard to follow along.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jan 30, 2017 #3

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Although it is not really required to learn C first and then C++, I agree with phinds. As a beginner, learn first a good deal of C (pointers, advanced data structures and dynamic memory allocation included) and then in learning C++, you'll look at it in a more experienced way and see really where its great power lies.

As for textbooks, I recommend Deitel's books. The reason is that I studied myself C, C++, Java and Internet and The WWW How to Program, although we had different textbooks for the courses back then and I found them of great help. These books are even more improved in their present editions. They are big, so you need to be patient and serious in reading them, but in my opinion it pays well back. Also for simple to intermediate exercises as a beginner, I used Schaum's Outlines Series Programming with C and Programming with C++. Of course, there are lots of other good textbooks you can find.

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5
  7. Feb 5, 2017 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I was a reviewer for Tony Gaddis's first edition. My name is still listed amongst all those who reviewed previous editions.

I'll be teaching a first course in C++ at a local CC next quarter (spring), and the textbook to be used is "Problem Solving with C++," by Walter Savitch. One of the advantages is that it's relatively inexpensive (as these books go). Stephen Prata also has a couple of books, "C Primer Plus" and "C++ Primer Plus." These are inexpensive, but they have too many code examples, IMO. I know that students like and appreciate code examples, but if one example is only slightly different from another, one of them could probably be removed, I think.

8. Feb 5, 2017 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also have Savitch's book, good, but I like Gaddis's better. Since I used Gaddis in a course I was taking, I know where to find the info I need faster than Savitch. Either is a good text to learn from.

9. Feb 6, 2017 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted