What is the best way to learn calculus.

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the best way to learn calculus is to get a textbook and read it. It's also helpful to do practice problems and ask for help if needed. There are also online tutorials available, but a well-written textbook is still recommended. It's also beneficial to contact a former math teacher for guidance. Some recommended books for beginners include "How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide" and "Calculus Made Easy." For a deeper understanding of the subject, more advanced textbooks such as "Lectures on Freshman Calculus" or "Calculus" by Courant and John are suggested. Ultimately, it's important to find a book that best suits your learning style.
Tom McCurdy
What is the best way to learn calculus... I want to learn as much as possible before school starts.

please private message me if you respond

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yeah, same here. I need some advice.

ditto, maybe if you can help posting it here would be a good idea instead of sending a bunch of PMs

Get the textbook and read it. :smile: You can probably check a copy out from a local library. You might also be able to call your teacher or principal and see if they'd be willing to give you a book a bit earlier than usual.

There are also loads of sites on the web that have tutorials on calc, but nothing (in my opinion) is really going to beat a well-written textbook. If you have any questions while you're reading the book, ask here!

- Warren

Likes Newton1Law
In particular you could find out what textbook your class will be using and start on that.

Kevin

lvlastermind said:
This site worked for me, tought me the basics pretty well.

Just read 15 or 20 pages a day and do the problems, doesn't take that long.

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

So have you gone on and used this knowledge in other classes then? I just wonder since Keisler, the book you used, based his calculus method on Nonstandard Analysis (NSA) a "version" of analysis using infinitesimals instead of limits. He tried popularizing a calculus version of this in a textbook but it didn't catch on to my knowledge. Just curious to see what you've used your calculus knowledge for.

Kevin

homology said:
So have you gone on and used this knowledge in other classes then? I just wonder since Keisler, the book you used, based his calculus method on Nonstandard Analysis (NSA) a "version" of analysis using infinitesimals instead of limits. He tried popularizing a calculus version of this in a textbook but it didn't catch on to my knowledge. Just curious to see what you've used your calculus knowledge for.
Kevin

I have not yet taken high school calc. I read the tutorial earlier this summer.

Get a decent calc book - I like Joseph Edwards' Diff. Calc. but there are tons of decent books - AND WORK OUT ALL THE FREAKIN' PROBLEMS.

Did you catch the emphasis at the end ?

I recommend the "How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide" series. They're cheap, entertaining explanations of Calculus topics. They don't replace an actual textbook, but they don't try to. They just provide a palatable summary of the concepts in Calculus.

I recommend Stewarts book for beginners. It's skim on the heavy proofs and such, but strong on the concepts. Find it and buy it!

Tom McCurdy said:
What is the best way to learn calculus... I want to learn as much as possible before school starts.

There may be ways where you can contact a former math teacher of yours and ask them. That's what I would do. This is more feasible in college than in high school, however.

Practise make perfect ! For me , the way to get good result in calculus is practise more . Maths do not requires memorizing but undertanding and practise.
Cheer..

Chrono said:
There may be ways where you can contact a former math teacher of yours and ask them. That's what I would do. This is more feasible in college than in high school, however.

absolutely great advice. when i first started taking calc i was getting help from 3 of my previous teachers. its weird because they enjoy it too, usually they haven't seen advanced problems in a few years.

How to learn it depends on how deeply you want to understand it. Whether you just want to be able to solve standard problems, or whether you want to understand the foundations of the material too.

Probably the easiest beginners book, no theory at all, is Calculus made Easy, by Silvanus P. Thompson, been around almost 100 years. Keywords: "what one fool can do, another can".

A step up, but still very intuitive and well motivated, is Lectures on freshman calculus, by Cruse and Granberg, unfortunately out of print and hard to find.

For a more standard text, bigger and heavier, with pretty clear explanations, and lots of problems, choose one of the typical college calc texts, like Cooke and Finney (preferably an older edition like 9th), Stewart (same recommendation, say 2nd ed.), or Edwards and Penney (same again, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ed.).

If you really want a text that explains deeply what the ideas behind calculus are, you need something better, and harder, like Courant and John, or Spivak, or Apostol.

These are no - nonsense, mathematicians version of the material, for the brightest most motivated students, such as top Univ of Chicago freshmen.

Suggestion: go to a college library and sit in the stacks and read until you find one you like.

Anton was a great calc book.

Vis a vis that infentissimal stuff: It isn't that different from what you'd normally learn. In fact, the difference is trivial. However, for a beginning calc student, do a search for "calc tutorial" and I'm sure you'll find stuff.

ty for all the advice

1. What is the best way to approach learning calculus?

The best way to approach learning calculus is to start with a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. These subjects are essential for understanding the concepts and equations used in calculus. It is also important to have a good understanding of functions and their graphs.

2. Is it better to learn calculus through self-study or with a teacher?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some may benefit from the structure and guidance of a teacher, while others may prefer the flexibility and independence of self-study. Both approaches can be effective, so it is important to choose the method that works best for you.

3. How much time should I dedicate to learning calculus?

The amount of time needed to learn calculus varies for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate a few hours each week to studying and practicing problems. Consistency is key in mastering calculus, so it is important to make time for it regularly.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with learning calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to aid in learning calculus. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and online textbooks or tutorials. These resources can provide additional explanations, practice problems, and interactive tools to enhance the learning experience.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in calculus?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills in calculus is through practice. Start with basic problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also beneficial to review and understand the solutions to problems you have difficulty with. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also improve problem-solving skills through personalized guidance and feedback.