A question about the formal definition of limit

In summary: Other types of problems don't follow a predictable pattern and the solution requires more insight. In summary, it is possible to learn to prove limits by the formal definition without doing a course of real analysis. One can study the concepts through self-study, but it may take longer and it is helpful to have a team or support system for corrections and clarification. Understanding the logic of quantifiers is important and can be learned through a textbook on logic. There is no specific algorithm for proving results about limits, but studying proofs in a rigorous calculus book can help. Different types of problems may require different approaches and more insight.
flamengo
Is it possible to learn to prove limits by the formal definition without doing a course of real analysis? I'm not talking about just following the model that the Calculus books give, what I want is to understand the why of all the steps in formally proving the limit, to understand the why to use inequalities that way. Anyway, is this possible without studying Real Analysis (only with a course of Calculus)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
flamengo said:
Is it possible to learn ...
Yes. It is always possible.
...to prove limits by the formal definition without doing a course of real analysis?
If you're learning the concepts, it is automatically a kind of course. You may not need to formally attend a course, but if you do it all alone, you most probably need more time and you won't have systemic corrections if you go wrong. Therefore it will take longer to get false understandings out of your mind again.
I'm not talking about just following the model that the Calculus books give, what I want is to understand the why of all the steps in formally proving the limit, to understand the why to use inequalities that way.
An example of what you mean and what not would be helpful. I have difficulties to see one apart from the other. You could start to tell whether you are talking of limits of sequences, series (which is basically the same) or approaching function values as it is the case in the different concepts of continuity (pointwise, uniform, Lipschitz) and differentiability. There is even a pure topological approach possible.
Anyway, is this possible without studying Real Analysis (only with a course of Calculus)?
Yes. In the end it is only a matter of time, effort and diligence. But whatever you do, I would try to learn in a team or at least get some help here on PF in order to check whether your understanding is on the right track - some kind of correction mechanism.

Likes flamengo
flamengo said:
Is it possible to learn to prove limits by the formal definition without doing a course of real analysis? I'm not talking about just following the model that the Calculus books give, what I want is to understand the why of all the steps in formally proving the limit, to understand the why to use inequalities that way.

You won't understand limits (and many other advanced mathematical concepts) unless you understand the logic of quantifiers ("for each", "there exists"). To understand the logic of quantifiers, you can read a textbook on logic. Of course, some people learn the logic of quantifiers by banging their heads against a lot of mathematics, but it's simpler to read a logic book.

After you understand quantifiers, then you can study the special tricks with inequalities that are used in proving results about limits. There is no specific procedure or algorithm that works for all proofs involving limits.

If we distinguish between "real analysis" and "calculus", you can learn to do proofs about limits by studying the proofs given in a calculus book that's written in a rigorous style. (Most students of calculus don't study the material in that depth.) Calculus books don't give a specific model for proving results about limits, do they? Students are often asked to prove results about limits of linear functions and that type of problem does follow a predictable pattern.

1. What is the formal definition of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit is the precise mathematical description of how a function behaves as its input approaches a certain value. It states that the limit of a function at a particular point is equal to the value that the function approaches as its input approaches that point.

2. Why is the formal definition of a limit important?

The formal definition of a limit is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to describe the behavior of a function at a specific point. This allows for more accurate analysis and predictions in mathematical and scientific contexts.

3. How is the formal definition of a limit different from the intuitive understanding of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit is a precise mathematical statement, while the intuitive understanding of a limit is based on our everyday understanding of the concept. The formal definition provides a more rigorous and accurate description of a limit, while the intuitive understanding is more of a general idea.

4. What are the key components of the formal definition of a limit?

The key components of the formal definition of a limit include the function itself, the input value approaching the point, the limiting value of the function at that point, and the value of the limit itself. These components work together to describe the behavior of the function at a specific point.

5. How is the formal definition of a limit used in practical applications?

The formal definition of a limit is used in many practical applications, such as in calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows for accurate and precise analysis of functions and their behavior, which is essential in these fields. It is also used in computer algorithms and simulations to model and predict real-world phenomena.