What is the best way to search for research papers?

In summary, there are various options for finding publications by a specific author, such as arXiv, Web of Knowledge, and Google Scholar. However, it is important to keep in mind that not all authors upload their work to arXiv and it may take some time for papers to be indexed on Web of Knowledge. Additionally, there are field-specific indexes like the INSPIRE High-Energy Physics Literature Database. One helpful method for literature search is using Google Scholar, which tracks citations to and from articles to provide a comprehensive overview of a topic. PubMed is also a useful tool for finding publications.
bardeen
Hello all,

Suppose I want to find all publications by X author. What is the best way to do this? I am overwhelmed by all the options out there. Also, how does it all work? What I mean by this is, when you publish something, say in Phys. Rev., does Web of Knowledge and Arxiv get automatically notified of this? If someone could get me started in clearing all this I would reaaally appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
arXiv has only preprints uploaded to arXiv. In some fields (in particular, particle physics), nearly all papers are uploaded there.
In general, it can be necessary to search for papers on many websites.

Web of knowledge automatically indexes all papers from journals like Physical Review, but it can take a month or two to show up.

As mfb says, arXiv only contains papers that the author decides to upload there. However, in many fields, almost all authors upload almost all their work there.

There are also field-specific indexes like the INSPIRE High-Energy Physics Literature Database.

For your specific question, if you go to the website of X author, they will often have a list of all their papers.

Finally, if you think you might be missing some papers in the above searches, you can try something like Google Scholar.

Someone else can suggest other sites, but these are the ones I've used.

There are also fields where almost no one uploads anything to arxiv (e.g., chemical physics). So relying on arxiv is very much *not* recommended.

For literature search I personally find Google Scholar to be most helpful. It tends to index almost everything, and by tracking citations from/to articles (i.e., into both directions) it is possible to get a reasonably complete overview over a topic. If you need to find all literature relevant to a certain topic, first find *one* article X dealing with this subject, then look both for articles which X cites, and articles citing X (using above mentioned "cited by" feature). Recurse as necessary.

bardeen said:
Hello all,

Suppose I want to find all publications by X author. What is the best way to do this? I am overwhelmed by all the options out there. Also, how does it all work? What I mean by this is, when you publish something, say in Phys. Rev., does Web of Knowledge and Arxiv get automatically notified of this? If someone could get me started in clearing all this I would reaaally appreciate it. Thank you!

Use Google Scholar.

Zz.

1. What is the best search engine for finding research papers?

The best search engine for finding research papers depends on the field of study. Some popular options include Google Scholar, PubMed, and JSTOR. It is recommended to use multiple search engines to ensure comprehensive results.

2. How can I refine my search results to find the most relevant research papers?

To refine your search results, use specific keywords and phrases related to your topic. You can also use advanced search options, such as filtering by date, author, and publication type. Additionally, reading through the abstracts and summaries of the papers can help you determine their relevance.

3. Are there any online databases or libraries specifically for research papers?

Yes, there are several online databases and libraries that specialize in research papers. Some examples include ScienceDirect, Wiley Online Library, and IEEE Xplore. These databases and libraries often require a subscription or membership to access their full range of papers.

4. Can I access research papers for free?

While some research papers may be available for free on websites like Google Scholar, many journals and databases require a subscription or payment to access their papers. Some universities and institutions also have access to certain databases and journals, so it is worth checking with your institution's library for free access.

5. How can I ensure the credibility and reliability of a research paper?

To ensure the credibility and reliability of a research paper, it is important to consider factors such as the author's credentials, the source of the paper, and the peer-review process. You can also look for papers published in reputable journals and check for any conflicts of interest or biases. Additionally, reading reviews and citing other sources can help validate the information presented in the paper.