What is the bird's speed immediately after swallowing?

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the bird's speed immediately after swallowing the insect is 34.87 m/s. The mistake in the initial attempt was using the relative speed instead of the individual velocities of the bird and the insect. By using the correct velocities, the solution was found to be 34.87 m/s.
cse63146
[SOLVED] Momentum Question

Homework Statement

A 300 g bird flying along at 6 m/s sees a 10 g insect heading straight toward it with a speed of 30 m/s (as measured by an observer on the ground, not by the bird). The bird opens its mouth wide and enjoys a nice lunch.

What is the bird's speed immediately after swallowing?

Homework Equations

[tex]p_{1}[/tex] = [tex]p_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know relative speed is the sum of the bird's and bug's speed since they are headed in opposite direction, and 30 + 6 = 36 so

[tex]m_{bird}[/tex][tex]v_{bird}[/tex] + [tex]m_{bug}[/tex][tex]v_{bug}[/tex] = ([tex]m_{bird}[/tex] + [tex]m_{bug}[/tex])[tex]v_{final}[/tex]
0.3(36) + 0.01(36) = (0.3 + 0.01)[tex]v_{f}[/tex]

[tex]v_{f}[/tex] = (0.3(36) + 0.01(36))/0.31 = 34.87 m/s

but this is wrong, probably because the relative speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cse63146 said:
0.3(36) + 0.01(36) = (0.3 + 0.01)[tex]v_{f}[/tex]

Check the velocities that you entered.

Its been a while since I did one like this, but I don't think yo should use the relative speed like that. You have the bird accelerating massively, which is impossible.

I'd say its more like (0.3kg)(6m/s)-(0.01kg)(30m/s)

I know something is wrong with them, the problem is I can't figure out what.

According to my assigment:

if two objects are moving in opposite directions (either toward each other or away from each other), the relative speed between them is equal to the sum of their speeds with respect to the ground

so that's what I thought it was, which apperantly isnt.

You're right... it is wrong because of the relative speed.

Don't use relative speed. The bird has a velocity of 6m/s and the bug has a velocity of -30m/s

Use these and you should get your answer.

I'm assuming that the answer wants the bird's speed relative to the ground

God dammit...

I tried doing that earlier in the day using that method... now I relased I put the decimal in the wrong place... *sigh*

Thanks for the help, I would have been stuck on this for hours otherwise

1. What is the definition of "immediately" in this context?

The term "immediately" refers to the bird's speed right after it has swallowed its food, with no delay or pause in between.

2. Does the bird's speed differ depending on the type of bird?

Yes, the bird's speed may vary depending on the species and size of the bird. Smaller birds tend to have faster speeds compared to larger birds.

3. What factors can affect the bird's speed after swallowing?

The bird's speed after swallowing can be affected by factors such as the type and size of the prey, the bird's energy levels, and environmental conditions such as wind and temperature.

4. How can the bird's speed after swallowing be measured?

The bird's speed can be measured using various methods such as radar, video recording, or manually timing the bird's flight. However, it may be challenging to accurately measure the bird's speed immediately after swallowing due to the short duration of this event.

5. Why is the bird's speed after swallowing important to study?

The bird's speed after swallowing is important to study as it gives insight into the bird's hunting and feeding behaviors. It can also help researchers understand the bird's flight capabilities and adaptations. Additionally, studying the bird's speed after swallowing can provide information about the health and survival of bird populations in their natural habitats.