What is the branching ratio for alpha decay to Pu-237?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Dant_li
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Hello, I’m in high school (junior) and I was reading this book in nuclear physics and they mention alpha decay and I search up and I found this photo with branching ratios. I get the concept itself. But I was wondering if someone could explain to me the branching ratios on the photo as well as why there’s no decay to ground state of 237Pu?
Relevant Equations
BR = ki/(k1+k2+....ki...+) = ki/k
I understand that In general, the branching ratio
math-ba0c85e6f79789a307d6783a48a0ce95.png
for a particular decay mode is defined as the ratio of the number of atoms decaying by that decay mode to the number decaying in total. But I can’t get this specific branching ratio.
 
Attachments
  • 464BA4C8-F489-467A-BB15-425A67304C58.jpeg
    464BA4C8-F489-467A-BB15-425A67304C58.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
The decay paths which change the spin of nucleus by large amount (as for decay to ground state of Pu-237 - spin changes by 4 quantum units, from +0.5 to -3.5) are very improbable. It is called "forbidden transition"