What is the buoyant force of water on the block?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
future_vet
Messages
169
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block of unknown material weighs 50 N in air and 20 N in water. What is the buoyant force of water?

Homework Equations


I know how to calculate density etc. I thought the formula to use was -density x V x g but it's not correct.


Homework Statement


A x Kg mass is attached to a horizontal spring of constant 20 N/m and set into harmonic motion with an amplitude = 0.2m. What is the total mechanical ernergy of the system?

I have no idea what to do... Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking it would be 50 - 20 = 30 but it seems a bit too simple to be true...
 
So for the second:
0.5 * 25 * 0.2^2 = 0.50J ?

THANK YOU!
 
It's simple and it's true.

I can't check your second answer because I can't see what the mass is.

[edit] E = 1/2ka^2 - whoops, you don't need the mass, so you're right there also.
 
Last edited: