What is the Critical Density for a Wedge in Water?

In summary: If we take centre of square face of the wedge to be a point and axis passes through that weight of the wegde doesn't produce any torque about this axis.Correct.
Brilli

Homework Statement

If a beam with square cross-section and very low density is placed in water, it will turn one pair of its long opposite
faces horizontal. This orientation, however, becomes unstable
as we increase its density. Find the critical density when this
transition occurs. The density of water is ρw = 1000 kg/m3

Homework Equations

3. Attempt at solution
Taking the centre of mass of the square cross section of the wedge as the axis and bouyant force to rotate the wedge about this axis we can equate torques. But i don't know how to do this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno isn't good enough in PF (see guidelines)
Perhaps it's good to turn this around: start with a high density, let it go lower and see if you can conclude something from that ...

Likes berkeman
Brilli said:
Taking the centre of mass of the square cross section of the wedge as the axis and bouyant force to rotate the wedge about this axis we can equate torques.
Not quite. A beam in the orientation described will always be in balance, and the torques will always be equal, by symmetry. It is a question of stability, which means that you need to consider a small perturbation from that position and find which way the net torque goes.

haruspex said:
Not quite. A beam in the orientation described will always be in balance, and the torques will always be equal, by symmetry. It is a question of stability, which means that you need to consider a small perturbation from that position and find which way the net torque goes.
Thank you for replying . I was confused in this term. Let me try ahead and see.

haruspex said:
But about what point should the perturbation be taken? ?

Brilli said:
But about what point should the perturbation be taken? ?
From the horizontal/vertical position. If it is tilted at a small angle to that, will the torque tend to oppose the tilt or increase it?

haruspex said:
From the horizontal/vertical position. If it is tilted at a small angle to that, will the torque tend to oppose the tilt or increase it?
I was asking about what point should be the axis passing through On the square?

Brilli said:
I was asking about what point should be the axis passing through On the square?
As you wrote in post #1, the centre of the square will do. But in principle, you can take an axis anywhere.

haruspex said:
As you wrote in post #1, the centre of the square will do. But in principle, you can take an axis anywhere.
But if taken at the centre the wedge is always rotataed back to original position. Could you explain your recommendation with a diagram? I am very confused with this question

Also about the centre of the squares face what is balancing the bouyancy force ?

Gravity

BvU said:
Gravity
If we take centre of square face of the wedge to be a point and axis passes through that weight of the wegde doesn't produce any torque about this axis. So what is balancing the torque due to bouyancy?

Brilli said:
But if taken at the centre the wedge is always rotataed back to original position.
Is it?
First question is, will the centre of mass be at the same height relative to the surface of the water? Probably, but needs to be checked.
Second, where is the centre of buoyancy?
Draw a couple of diagrams, one where most of the beam (it is not a wedge) is immersed and one where little is immersed. But in each case, since we are concerned with small perturbations, do not tilt it so far that a corner enters or leaves the water.

Likes BvU
Brilli said:
f we take centre of square face of the wedge to be a point and axis passes through that weight of the wegde doesn't produce any torque about this axis.
Correct. But the buoyancy force does -- when there is a small disturbance. If that is not counteracted the thing will start to tilt and stop at a different orientation.

Where does the word wedge come from ? You talk about a beam with a square cross section.

Make two drawings: one where the beam is horizontal and one where it's at an angle, partially above the water. mark center of mass and center of buoyancy

hey, Haru was a little quicker on the draw ! Good to see we agree

So should i go on with the following idea- that if the beam turns by an angle then the polygon made by the part under water should have its centre of mass aligned with centre of mass of the square face of the wedge?

Brilli said:
So should i go on with the following idea- that if the beam turns by an angle then the polygon made by the part under water should have its centre of mass aligned with centre of mass of the square face of the wedge?
Not sure what you mean by "should" there. The point is that it will not be, but the question is, which side will it be? I.e. will the net torque accelerate the turn or restore it?

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean by "should" there. The point is that it will not be, but the question is, which side will it be? I.e. will the net torque accelerate the turn or restore it?
The problem asks for the point at which the bouyancy torque does not turn it back to previous equilibrium position. So just at the time in which this happens there should be an equilibrium point. Thus the centre of bouyancy should pass through the centre of square face so that it doesn't produce any torque

Could you say if i miss some torques? I take the torque due to bouyancy about the centre of the sqare face

Brilli said:
The problem asks for the point at which the bouyancy torque does not turn it back to previous equilibrium position. So just at the time in which this happens there should be an equilibrium point. Thus the centre of bouyancy should pass through the centre of square face so that it doesn't produce any torque
Ok, but that need not be exactly true for a finite rotation. You just need the first order term to vanish.
Don't forget to make sure the same volume is immersed in the rotated position.

1. What is a wedge problem?

A wedge problem is a type of stability analysis in which a wedge-shaped structure or object is subjected to external forces, and the stability of the structure is determined by its ability to resist these forces without collapsing or failing.

2. Why is the stability of a wedge important?

The stability of a wedge is important because it affects the safety and functionality of structures such as buildings, bridges, and retaining walls. If a wedge is not stable, it can lead to structural failure, which can have serious consequences.

3. How is the stability of a wedge determined?

The stability of a wedge is determined by analyzing the forces acting on the wedge and calculating the equilibrium conditions. This involves considering the angle of the wedge, the materials it is made of, and the external forces acting on it.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a wedge?

Several factors can affect the stability of a wedge, including the angle of the wedge, the materials it is made of, the weight of the wedge, and the external forces acting on it. Other factors such as the presence of water or soil conditions can also impact its stability.

5. How can the stability of a wedge be improved?

The stability of a wedge can be improved by adjusting the angle of the wedge, using stronger or more suitable materials, increasing the weight of the wedge, or incorporating additional support structures or reinforcements. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the best approach for improving the stability of a specific wedge problem.