What Is the Capacitance of Coaxial Infinite Cylinders?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Void123
Messages
138
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have two coaxial infinite cylinders and I must find their capacitance, where [tex]r_{1} < r_{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I got an answer (for finite cylinders) that is inversely proportional to [tex]Ln (r_{1}/r_{2})[/tex].

Assuming this answer is correct (if someone can check it), in order to make it infinite the two radii have to become infinitesimally small (0) correct? If I do this though, I get an indeterminate in the argument of log.

Have I done this wrong or must I rewrite my expression in terms of some approximate expansion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Are you sure the problem isn't asking you for the capacitance per unit length?
 


I am sure. I don't see how significant that is either, since I would just divide my expression by [tex]l[/tex]. But, the road block at the moment is trying to infinitesimally minimize the radii so as to give me a finite solution.
 


It's significant because the reason you get an infinite answer is because [itex]l[/itex] is infinite. Typically, this type of question asks you for the capacitance per unit length, which is a finite number.
 


Void123 said:
in order to make it infinite the two radii have to become infinitesimally small (0) correct?

No, in order two make the two cylinders infinitely long, you just make them longer.