1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the cause of an increase in volume (audio)

1. Jan 25, 2015 #1
    This is just a question I posed to myself while learning about waves, I was wondering how the volume of an audible noise is increased or decreased, is it related to the compression of the wave and therefore the force generating it? If somebody could explain this in mathematical terms or provide a link to where I can find out more I would be grateful

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

For any given frequency, the "loudness" of the sound to the human ear will depend on the force with with the frequency is generated. It's not the the compression waves hit the eardrum with a different frequency, it's that they hit it harder. Sound disperses as it leaves a source so a stroner source delivers stronger waves to any given point out away from it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook