What is the cause of an increase in volume (audio)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Marcus27
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
This is just a question I posed to myself while learning about waves, I was wondering how the volume of an audible noise is increased or decreased, is it related to the compression of the wave and therefore the force generating it? If somebody could explain this in mathematical terms or provide a link to where I can find out more I would be grateful
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For any given frequency, the "loudness" of the sound to the human ear will depend on the force with with the frequency is generated. It's not the the compression waves hit the eardrum with a different frequency, it's that they hit it harder. Sound disperses as it leaves a source so a stroner source delivers stronger waves to any given point out away from it.