What is the cause of our inner voice?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pinestone
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 8K views
Here is a funny thing to try:

One way to save time, the authors suggest, is to read more quickly. To do that they firstly suggest reading without using your inner voice.

"When we first learned to read we were encouraged to speak the words aloud so that our teacher could check that we'd got each one right before we moved on. As we mature, we internalise that voice, so we still hear it in our heads. But this inner voice is not necessary in our reading; in fact it reduces our reading speed to around talking speed..."
http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2006/03/can_you_read_without.html

I tried it but its very hard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Does anyone here have the tendency to 'think' in another fashion other than words very regularly? I've heard of people whose thoughts are predominantly mathematical. I'm sure that musicians probably tend to think in other sound terms that speech when they are playing or composing but how often do they think of other things in such terms? Do they 'hear' music in correspondance with emotions and certain sorts of thoughts?
 
PIT2 said:
Here is a funny thing to try:

...

I tried it but its very hard.
I've never thought about it before, the connection with the "inner voice" to reading speed. When I read— sometimes I go into overdrive, its funny. I read so fast, that my inner voice does not have time to say it. Sometimes, I find it lagging behind, like its going at 10 mph, while my reading speed is going at 15 mph. Sometimes I read without my inner voice.