What is the Centroid of a Wire and How to Calculate It Using Geometry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
yaro99
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


2C7ksNe.png



Homework Equations


ƩxiLi=0


The Attempt at a Solution


Using geometry to find the lengths and rotating so AB is horizontal, I have:
CQ8E20S.png



ƩxiLi=0: [((64/80)*L)/2]*L + (-64/2)*80 + (-14/2)*100 = 0

L = 90.28mm
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yaro99 said:
ƩxiLi=0: [((64/80)*L)/2]*L + (-64/2)*80 + (-14/2)*100 = 0
I'm not getting the 14/2 factor. Everything else looks good to me.
 
TSny said:
I'm not getting the 14/2 factor. Everything else looks good to me.

The centroid of line AB is right in the middle, 50mm from either edge. Looking at the left side, 64-50=14, and it is negative because it is to the left of the origin.
 
But why divide the 14 by 2?
 
TSny said:
But why divide the 14 by 2?

Oh, wow haha, you're right. Didn't need to divide by 2, now the equation works for me.