What is the Change in Potential Energy of a Displaced Meter Scale?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
sylwesh98
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
A meter scale of mass m initially vertical is displaced at 45 degrees keeping the upper end fixed.
. find out the change in potential energy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Found it. What is your attempt at a solution? And what are the relevant equations ?
 
change in potential energy=mass*acceleration due to gravity * change in height
I can't get the change in height
here change in height is given as (l/2)(1-cos45)
Can u tell me sir!
 
Try making a drawing. Remember that it's the change in height of the centre of mass that matters.
 
I want to say, that I think you have to break it down into its x and y components
 
sir i got it !
 
Attachments
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 402