1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the change in the proton's electric potential energy?

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton moves in a constant electric field E from point A to point B. the magnitude of the electric field is 6.4x10^4 N/C. The direction of electric field is opposite to the motion of the proton.

If the distance from point A to point B is 0.50m, what is the change in the proton's electric potential energy, EPEb-EPEa?

E=6.4x10^4 N/C
    Δd= 0.50
    ΔV=?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔV=Δd*E
    V=W/q
    W=qEcosθ

3. The attempt at a solution
    ΔV=Δd*E=(6.4x10^4)(0.50) = 32000J
    Clearly this is wrong, as the answer is supposed to be 5.1x10^-15J.
    Apparently you need to multiply it by the proton's charge, 1.602x10^-19C, and you would get the answer. but why? i dont see any formulas that would suggest me to multiply my answer by the fundamental charge.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of your equations is V=W/q. That means W=qV. For a proton q is not 1 coulomb. It's charge of a proton. And the units of Δd*E aren't joules. It's joules/coulomb.

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    :) Arn't you fantastic!!! Thank you sir!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted