Poisson's equation: Calculating the Laplacian of an electric potential

In summary, your homework statement asks you to calculate the electric fields outside of a sphere of charge, and to check your answer with Poisson's equation. However, you don't know how to calculate the Laplacian of an electric potential which has 1/r in it. You can solve this equation by solving the Euler-Cauchy equation.
threeonefouronethree
Homework Statement
We have a sphere with radius R and charge density p=ar (a is a constant, r is the distance from the midpoint of the sphere). There is no charge outside of the sphere.
Relevant Equations
Calculate the electric potential V(r) outside the sphere (in terms of total charge Q).
First I calculated the electric fields outside of the sphere in terms of the total charge Q.

total charge Q:
Q = aπR^4

electric field outside: (r>R)
E(r) = (1/4πε) Q/r^2 (ε is the vacuum permittivity)

electric potential outside: (r>R)
V(r) = (1/4πε) Q/r

This was no problem for me (at least if my answer is right),
I wanted to check my answer with poisson's equation:

ΔV = -p/ε = -ar/ε

However i don't know how to calculate the laplacian of an electric potential which has 1/r in it.
by blindly doing the Laplacian of spherical coordinates I obviously got 0, so i checked that:

Δ(1/r) = -4πδ

However there is no intergral so i can't get rid of the dirac delta, and I also have constants so how do i deal with those?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello 31413, :welcome: !

There is no question in your homework statement and no equation in your 'relevant equations'.
Also
threeonefouronethree said:
First I calculated the electric fields outside of the sphere in terms of the total charge Q
Looks weird, because the impresssion you give is that that is all that is asked from you.
So with
V(r) = (1/4πε) Q/r
You are done with this exercise.

Y
I wanted to check my answer with poisson's equation:

ΔV = -p/ε = -ar/ε

However i don't know how to calculate the laplacian of an electric potential which has 1/r in it.
by blindly doing the Laplacian of spherical coordinates I obviously got 0
Your expression for V is only valid for points outside the sphere where the charge density is zero. So, Poisson's equation implies that the Laplacian of V should be zero outside the sphere. That's what you got.

Yes, and be glad you didn't try to check for the field inside the sphere by Poisson's eq as you started out with.
Can be done, is still a linear equation, but you have to solve the Euler-Cauchy eq. I actually tried it & it works!

Likes BvU

1. What is Poisson's equation and what does it represent?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the Laplacian of an electric potential and the charge density in a given region. It represents the distribution of electric charge in a system and helps in determining the electric potential at any point in space.

2. How is Poisson's equation used in electrical engineering and physics?

Poisson's equation is used in electrical engineering and physics to model and analyze electric potential and charge distribution in various systems. It is used in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors, and in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials.

3. What is the Laplacian operator and how is it related to Poisson's equation?

The Laplacian operator is a mathematical operator that calculates the rate of change of a function at a point in space. In the context of Poisson's equation, it represents the second derivative of the electric potential with respect to position. This operator is used to calculate the Laplacian of the electric potential, which is then used in Poisson's equation to determine the charge density.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation?

The boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation depend on the specific system being studied. In general, the boundary conditions specify the values of the electric potential or its derivatives at the boundaries of the region of interest. These conditions are essential for obtaining a unique solution to Poisson's equation.

5. Can Poisson's equation be solved analytically or numerically?

Poisson's equation can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical solutions involve using computational methods to approximate the solution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired accuracy of the solution.