1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the change of speed over time?

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    2day i started a new topic inj physics and there were a few terms which i am unsure of. if velocity is the change of displacement over time, and acceleration is the change of velocity, and if speed is the change of distance over time, what is the change of speed over time? also i have come across a few formulas for this topic, these formulas are listed below
    [tex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

[tex]v = u + at[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = u^2 - 2as[/tex]

[tex]v_{average} = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a_{average} = \frac{v - u}{t}[/tex]

are these all the formulas that are required for this topic or are there more? i understand that in some cases they may need to be rearanged.
    many thanks,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rate of change of speed with respect to time is often termed acceleration, although I do not care for its use. The the formulae you list are valid for constant acceleration in kinematics (except the average acceleration as that obviously can be used universally). The formulae are all that are required for basic kinematics however, there is a further formulae, [itex]s = \frac{1}{2}(u+v)t[/itex], that may be useful but it is derived from the above formulae.

4. Jul 26, 2006 #3
    thanks Hootenanny for the relpy and additional formula :smile:
    Pavadrin

5. Jul 26, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?