What Is the Clown's Velocity Before Hitting the Net?

  • Thread starter Thread starter a.k
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
a.k
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 75-kg clown at the circus escapes from a tower by jumping from a platform located 35 m above a safety net held by six other clowns. If air resistance exerts a 110 N force on the clown as he falls, what is his velocity just before he hits the net?


Homework Equations


F=mg-air resistance
a=f/m


The Attempt at a Solution


75kg-9.8 m/s^2-110N
735-110
F=625 N

625/75
a=8.33 m/s^2

I am drawing a blank as to what velocity formula I can use in the problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this one:
$$v_{f}^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2a\Delta y$$
Make sure to watch your signs on ##a## and ##\Delta y## though.
 
a.k said:
2(8.33)35m
16.66*35
=583.1 m/s^2
That's really fast, I think you forgot to take the square root :)

Also your units are for acceleration, not velocity.
 
a.k said:
625/75
a=8.33 m/s^2

I am drawing a blank as to what velocity formula I can use in the problem.

Hey there!
Just wanted to point this out in case you have that picky teacher or professor who devotes their life to signs - in regards to your acceleration, do keep in mind which way the clown is accelerating(you're saying he accelerates upwards with your value).

Other than that, Post #4 is your way to solving this one.