Projectile Motion: Finding Velocity at Net Height

In summary, The Great Projecto is launched from a cannon at 29.8 m/s and an angle of 50.4 degrees. He lands in a net 2.0 m above his starting elevation. Using kinematics equations for projectile motion, the vertical and horizontal components of his initial velocity are found to be 22.96 m/s and 18.995 m/s respectively. By setting the displacement and initial velocity in the vertical direction, the time of flight is found and used to solve for the final velocity, which is found to be 22.96 m/s. The angle of projection is not needed to find the final speed, but is necessary to determine the division of the final speed between the x and y directions
gungo

Homework Statement

The Great Projecto is fired from a cannon at a velocity of 29.8 m/s at an angle of 50.4 degrees. He lands in a net which is 2.0 m above his starting elevation. What is his velocity when he hits the net?

Homework Equations

sin=opp/hyp
cos=adj/hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

Using trigonometry I found that:
vy1: 22.96 m/s
vx1: 18.995 m/s
vx2: 18.995 m/s
And I know that
ay(acceleration of y)= -9.8m/s^2
Since the question tell us that the net is 2.0 m above the starting elevation, dy+2= the height of the net...but how will I find the starting elevation? I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot solve this problem using just trigonometry. You have to use the kinematics equations for projectile motion.

kuruman said:
You cannot solve this problem using just trigonometry. You have to use the kinematics equations for projectile motion.
But none of the equations let me find the displacement without having another piece of information?
v2^2=v1^2+2ad>>>>I don't have d
v2=v1+at>>>>>I don't have t
d=v1^2+1/2a(t)^2>>>>I don't have d or t
d=v2^2-1/2a(t)^2>>>>I don't have d t or v2
d=(v1+v2/2)t>>>>I don't have d or t

@gungo what about using the velocity components in the two directions?

gungo said:
But none of the equations let me find the displacement without having another piece of information?
You know the displacement and the initial velocity in the vertical direction. Use them to find the time of flight first. Having the time of flight, you cn find anything else you need.

kuruman said:
You know the displacement and the initial velocity in the vertical direction. Use them to find the time of flight first. Having the time of flight, you cn find anything else you need.
You don't need the time of flight.

PeroK said:
You don't need the time of flight.
That's right, you don't. You still need a kinematic equation in the vertical direction.

kuruman said:
Got it, thanks!

gungo said:
Got it, thanks!
Note that ##v^2 =u^2-2gh## works for projectile motion, where ##h## is the upwards displacement in the ##y## direction.

You can derive this by:

##v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2 = u_x^2 + u_y^2 -2gh = u^2 -2gh##

Using the constant velocity in the x direction and the acceleration of gravity in the y direction.

Note also that you didn't need the angle of projection. When you come to learn about energy you'll see why.

PeroK said:
Note also that you didn't need the angle of projection.
The problem is asking for the velocity, which means two components. Although you don't need the projection angle to find the final speed as @PeroK pointed out, you still need the angle to find how that speed is divided between the x and y directions.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a cannon work to launch a projectile?

A cannon uses gunpowder or another explosive material to create a high amount of pressure that propels a projectile out of the barrel at a high speed. The angle at which the cannon is fired and the amount of gunpowder used determine the distance and trajectory of the projectile.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from a cannon?

The angle of launch, the initial velocity of the projectile, the mass of the projectile, and air resistance are all factors that can affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from a cannon.

4. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can a projectile launched from a cannon reach escape velocity?

No, a projectile launched from a cannon cannot reach escape velocity because the force of gravity will always act on it, causing it to eventually fall back to the ground. Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body.