What is the contradiction in the proof of Hahn Decomposition Theorem?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nateHI
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decomposition Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nateHI
Messages
145
Reaction score
4
In the proof of the Hahn Decomposition Thm located here, there is the following sentence at the top of page 4.

"However, we shall prove that there is a positive subset of E carrying a positive charge, thereby obtaining the
contradiction."

but, if ##G## is the positive subset of ##E## mentioned above then
##
G \subset E\subset N
## which implies that ##N## is not a negative set. That seems to support the incorrect assumption, not contradict it. What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't gone through the details, but I think it is trying to show that [itex]G\subset{P}[/itex] contradicting [itex]G\subset{N}[/itex].
 
mathman said:
I haven't gone through the details, but I think it is trying to show that [itex]G\subset{P}[/itex] contradicting [itex]G\subset{N}[/itex].
Yup. You're correct. Thanks, I was having a hard time with that one.