What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic struct

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of coordination number and the question of what the coordination number of an atom is in a primitive cubic structure. The concept of coordination number and its relation to neighboring atoms is explained, and the answer to the question is suggested to be 6. However, there is confusion about the term "primitive" in this context and further clarification is needed.
ace123
I don't understand this question at all. But since my Professor gave it to me I'm guessing it relates to the chapter of structures and types of solids.

What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure?
What the hell is this question asking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
coordination number is the number of atoms neighbouring a central atom. e.g. PCl5 exhibits a coordination number of 5.

in the cubic structure, the coordination number of an atom is most prolly 6. try to imagine the structure and the atoms, and see how many atoms are there around any other atom.

As have I chemisttree. And my textbook only talks about simple, face-centered, and body centered cubic. If it helps the answer to this was 6. But what central atom if i don't what primitive cubic structure is

What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure?

The coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure is 6. This means that each atom is surrounded by 6 nearest neighbors.

How is the coordination number determined in a primitive cubic structure?

The coordination number is determined by counting the number of nearest neighbors surrounding an atom in a primitive cubic structure. In this type of structure, there are 6 nearest neighbors, so the coordination number is 6.

What is the significance of the coordination number in a primitive cubic structure?

The coordination number in a primitive cubic structure is significant because it affects the properties and behavior of the material. It determines the packing efficiency, density, and strength of the structure.

Can the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure change?

No, the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure cannot change. This is because the structure is rigid and the atoms are arranged in a fixed pattern, with each atom surrounded by 6 nearest neighbors.

How does the coordination number in a primitive cubic structure compare to other crystal structures?

The coordination number in a primitive cubic structure is the lowest among all crystal structures. In comparison, the coordination number in a body-centered cubic structure is 8, while in a face-centered cubic structure, it is 12.