What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic struct

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ace123
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
I don't understand this question at all. But since my Professor gave it to me I'm guessing it relates to the chapter of structures and types of solids.

What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure?
What the hell is this question asking for?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
coordination number is the number of atoms neighbouring a central atom. e.g. PCl5 exhibits a coordination number of 5.

in the cubic structure, the coordination number of an atom is most prolly 6. try to imagine the structure and the atoms, and see how many atoms are there around any other atom.
 
As have I chemisttree. And my textbook only talks about simple, face-centered, and body centered cubic. If it helps the answer to this was 6. But what central atom if i don't what primitive cubic structure is