1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic struct

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    I don't understand this question at all. But since my Professor gave it to me I'm guessing it relates to the chapter of structures and types of solids.

What is the coordination number of an atom in a primitive cubic structure?
    What the hell is this question asking for?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    coordination number is the number of atoms neighbouring a central atom. e.g. PCl5 exhibits a coordination number of 5.

in the cubic structure, the coordination number of an atom is most prolly 6. try to imagine the structure and the atoms, and see how many atoms are there around any other atom.

4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    As have I chemisttree. And my textbook only talks about simple, face-centered, and body centered cubic. If it helps the answer to this was 6. But what central atom if i don't what primitive cubic structure is

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?