What is the correct order of all Mathematics topics?

  • Topic: Studying 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Frank Li
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematics Topics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
Frank Li
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I've trying to organize my path of study in mathematics, but in every resources online are different. Can anyone request a great order of learning them or a real curriculum of schools. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Most people start by learning how to count. If you don't need to go back that far, you might want to tell us what level you're starting from.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TJGilb
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

The title of this thread is amusing. Correct order, indeed. But anyway, I bookmarked these stackexchange threads that may be helpful to you:

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...s-of-mathematics-should-i-study/394655#394655
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/181984/complete-course-of-self-study
And this was one of the best offerings in the thread above: https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm

If you're like me, you'll go in between bouts of wanting to do things very strictly and systematically and then getting impatient and flitting back and forth between whatever seems interesting at the moment.
 
I mean, I guess all of mathematics is founded upon Set Theory. Then Arithmetic. After that you could branch into Algebra or Geometry, or both simultaneously. Then into Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics. And eventually you arrive at Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and all the other fields most people probably never touch. Oh, and I guess you can throw Statistics in there somewhere.