What is the correct way to convert a matrix to reduced row echelon form?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
iasc
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
What exactly is a reduced row echelon matrix.

I had to convert this to one:
1 2 1 1 1 1
-3 -6 -2 0 -1 -3
2 4 2 1 3 -3

And got:
1 2 1 1 1 1
0 0 1 3 2 0
0 0 0 1 -1 5

Is this right and, if not, why?

Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your arithmetic is correct, that is row echelon form. Reduced row echelon form requires that each column with a leading one have nothing else but zeros in it.
 
You have the signs on the last row wrong. You are subtracting 2 times the first row from the third and should have 1- 2(1)= -1, 3- 2(1)= 1, and -3-2(1)= -5.
 
Thanks for the help.

I got
1 2 0 0 3 -11
0 0 1 0 5 -15
0 0 0 1 -1 5

I think this is right.

I did it the other way round HallsofIvy.