What is the defining property of a conjugate subgroup A^g?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



Let G be a group and let [tex]A \leq G[/tex] be a subgroup. If [tex]g \in G[/tex], then [tex]A^g \subseteq G[/tex] is defined as

[tex]A^g = \{ a^g | a \in A \}[/tex] where [tex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/tex]

Show that Ag is a subgroup of G.

The Attempt at a Solution



I will use the one step subgroup test. First I have to identify the property that distinguishes the elements of Ag (a defining condition). I don't see what's the binary operation so I can't tell what this property is... :confused:

If I knew this property, I would prove that the identity has this property, so that Ag is nonempty. Then I'd use the assumption that a and b have that property to show that ab-1 has this property. Could anyone help me out to see what the property of this group is?

P.S. I think the identity for this group is "1", right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


isn't it given by: [itex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/itex]?

then from memory you need to show:
- the identity is part of the subgroup
- its closed under multiplication, ie if u & v are both in, then so is uv
- the inverse of any element is also part of subgroup

these whould all follow pretty straight forwarly from the group definition, remembering that A is a subgroup itself
 


lanedance said:
isn't it given by: [itex]a^g = g^{-1}ag \in G[/itex]?

then from memory you need to show:
- the identity is part of the subgroup
- its closed under multiplication, ie if u & v are both in, then so is uv
- the inverse of any element is also part of subgroup

these whould all follow pretty straight forwarly from the group definition, remembering that A is a subgroup itself

I want to use the "one step subgroup test". For this test I don't have to check closure. I only need to check that ab-1 is in the group whenever a and b are in the group.

To show that identity is in the group is it sufficient to show that g-11g=1? This verifies that Ag in nonempty.

Suppose a=g-1ag and b=g-1bg are elements in Ag who satisfy the property.

b-1 = gbg-1

ab-1 = g-1ag . gbg-1

What can I do next? :rolleyes:
 


roam said:
I want to use the "one step subgroup test". For this test I don't have to check closure. I only need to check that ab-1 is in the group whenever a and b are in the group.

To show that identity is in the group is it sufficient to show that g-11g=1? This verifies that Ag in nonempty.

Suppose a=g-1ag and b=g-1bg are elements in Ag who satisfy the property.

b-1 = gbg-1
No, this is wrong. You can show that [itex](gbg^{-1})^{-1}= gb^{-1}g^{-1}[/itex] directly from the definition of "inverse".


ab-1 = g-1ag . gbg-1

What can I do next? :rolleyes:
 


I made some mistakes, so I will start over.

We write two elements of Ag in the correct form (correct form here being [tex]a^g = g^{-1}ag[/tex]):

ag and bg

Then I must show that [tex]a^g(b^g)^{-1}[/tex] also has the correct form; that is it can be written as [tex]g^{-1}(ab^{-1})g[/tex]. I start here:

[tex]a^{g}(b^{g})^{-1} = (g^{-1}ag)(gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/tex]

But how does one simplify [tex](g^{-1}ag)(gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/tex] to get [tex]g^{-1}(ab^{-1})g[/tex]? This is where I'm stuck...
 


lanedance said:
why do you assume [itex](b^{g})^{-1} = (gb^{-1}g^{-1})[/itex] ?

Because [tex]b^g = g^{-1} b g[/tex]

therefore [tex](b^g)^{-1}= (g^{-1} b g)^{-1} = g b^{-1} g^{-1}[/tex]

cos its not... try multiplying with [tex]b^{g}[/tex]

could you show me? because I don't understand what you mean here...
 


just remember you need to switch orders when you invert (ab)-1 = b-1 a-1.
 


qbert said:
just remember you need to switch orders when you invert (ab)-1 = b-1 a-1.

or just start with b^g and just see what you would have to multiply it by to get the identity