Aerstz said:
That's the problem; I am unable to follow the steps in the examples. The steps are too big; I need smaller steps to bridge the gaps.
To me, the examples seem to go from A straight to Z in one giant leap. I need to know B,C,D...etc., in between. Currently I am completely blind to what these intermediate steps are.
For example, and as I asked above in the first post: Why does A = - (wL^3)/24? What I mean to ask is, how was the (wL^3)/24 arrived at? I am extremely challenged with this 'simple' mathematics and I really need a kind soul to guide me through it very gently and slowly!
I hear you. Looking at part of the first problem, step by step, inch by inch:
1. [tex]EI(y) = wLx^3/12 -wx^4/24 + Ax + B[/tex]
Now since at the left end, at x = 0, we know there is no deflection at that point; thus, y = 0 when x =0, so substitute these zero values into Step 1 to obtain
2. [tex]0 = 0 - 0 + 0 + B[/tex], which yields
3. [tex]B = 0[/tex], thus Eq. 1 becomes
4. [tex]EI(y) = wLx^3/12 - wx^4/24 + Ax[/tex]
Now since at the right end, at x = L, we also know that y = 0 , substitute X=L and y=0 into Eq. 4 to yield
5. [tex]0 = wL(L^3)/12 - wL^4/24 + AL[/tex] or
6. [tex]0 = w(L^4)/12 - wL^4/24 + AL[/tex] .
Now since the first term in Eq. 6 above, [tex]wL^4/12[/tex], can be rewritten as [tex]2wL^4/24[/tex], then
7. [tex]0 = (2wL^4/24 - wL^4/24) +AL[/tex], or
8. [tex]0 = wL^4/24 + AL[/tex]. Now divide both sides of the equation by L, and thus
9. [tex]0 = wL^3/24 + A = 0[/tex],
and now solve for A by subtracting [tex](wL^3/24)[/tex] from both sides of the equation to get
10. [tex]0 -wL^3/24 = (wL^3/24 -wL^3/24) + A[/tex], or
11. [tex]-wL^3/24 = 0 + A[/tex]
12.
[tex]A = -wL^3/24[/tex]