What is the Determinant of an Idempotent Matrix?

  • Thread starter Thread starter forty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 11K views
forty
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
A matrix P is called idempotent if P^2 = P. If P is idempotent and P =/= I show that det(P)=0.

I don't really know where to go with this but i have a feeling that it involves taking the det of each side.

det(P^2) = det(P)
det(P)det(P) = det(P)

where to from here if that's even the right step/method to take, or if its even right at all >_>

Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: use the fact that if [itex]det(P) \neq 0[/itex], then P is invertible. Multiply [itex]P^2=P[/itex] by [itex]P^{-1}[/itex].
 
but it says det(P)=/=1. How do you show that det(P)=0?
 
det(P2) = det(P)

=> det(P)^2-det(P)=0

This is the same as t^2-t=0 where t=det(P). Factorise and use that fact that P=/= I
 
I have a questions:
if A=I-X(X'X)^-1X'
is it A idempotent?
 
kendarto: don't jump into another poster's thread.

try to calculate [tex]A^2[/tex] and answer this for yourself.