What is the difference between global and local maxima and minima?

In summary, the basic difference between local maxima and global maxima is that local maxima are the greatest values within a subset of a function's domain, while global maxima are the absolute greatest values on the entire domain of the function. This applies to both maximum and minimum values.
dev70
hi pf, this is my 1st math question. i am a undergraduate grade 12 student and my question is
what is the basic difference between local maxima minima & global maxima minima?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dev70! :smile:

the top of k2 is a local maximum

the top of mount everest is a global maximum :wink:

mathematically, what's the difference?

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

(if necessary, do some research on wikipedia etc :wink:)

If I may interject here. Take a look at this graph http://www.stat.purdue.edu/images/Research/Profiles/velocityReal2.jpg you'll see many humps (maxima). All the humps are local maxima in the sense that they are all peak values at their respective intervals. However, the one at around 0.58 is crowned the global maximum because not only is it the peak in its respective interval, but it is the highest of all the peaks in the entire function.

Take the everest example, you're asked to find the highest peaks in each country around the globe, and call each a local maximum. Then choose the highest peak of all, and call it a global maximum.

The same logic follows for minima.

I hope you found my answer helpful.]

A global maximum is the absolute greatest value that a function reaches on its domain. For example, the function [itex]f(x)=x^3+x^2-17 x+15[/itex] has no global maximum, but [itex]g(x)=\sin(x)[/itex] has global maxima at [itex](\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n,1),\,\,n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. A local maximum is the greatest value that a function reaches within a subset of its domain. For example, the local maximum of [itex]f(x)[/itex] on the set [itex]\{x\colon -5<x<1\}[/itex] occurs at [itex](-\frac{1}{3}(1+2\sqrt{13}),\frac{1}{27}(560+208\sqrt{13}))[/itex], but [itex]g(x)[/itex] has no local maximum on the set [itex]\{x\colon 0\leq x<\frac{\pi}{2}\}[/itex] (it would have one at the right endpoint, but that is not included in the set).

Related to What is the difference between global and local maxima and minima?

What is a global maximum?

A global maximum is the highest point in a function or data set, where there are no other points with higher values. It represents the overall peak of the function or data set.

What is a global minimum?

A global minimum is the lowest point in a function or data set, where there are no other points with lower values. It represents the overall bottom of the function or data set.

How do you find the global maximum and minimum of a function?

To find the global maximum and minimum of a function, you can use methods such as graphing, calculus, or optimization algorithms. These methods involve finding critical points and evaluating the function at those points to determine the global maxima and minima.

What is the significance of global maxima and minima in data analysis?

Global maxima and minima are important in data analysis as they provide information about the overall trend and extremes of a data set. They can also help identify outliers or anomalies in the data.

Can a function have more than one global maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple global maxima and minima. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks or valleys, or when there are multiple points with the same highest or lowest value.