Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between valence factor and n-factor?

1. May 16, 2017 #1
    What is the difference between valence factor and n-factor for oxidants and reductants? Take ##H_2O_2## as an example. What is the difference between the n-factor and valence factor for this compound?

Also, how do I find the n-factor for any oxidant or reductant?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2
    I am a chemist, and I have never heard of the terms "valence factor" and "n-factor". As you have, where did you hear of them? In class/textbook? What definitions of them were you given?

4. May 17, 2017 #3
  5. May 17, 2017 #4
    You could have simply said that in this place, I'll not get any answer. I posted this because there was a problem that I was having in understanding the concepts, and no site was able to tell me appropriately the difference between n-factor and valence factor.

If I can't get an answer, it's alright. My teacher is in out station and I was not wanting to disturb him regarding petty issues like these.

If you don't want to answer, then simply write that.

6. May 17, 2017 #5
    And I can't think of the fact that a chemist doesn't know these simple terms.

7. May 17, 2017 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I haven't heard about them too. Some googling suggests these are rather obscure terms which are poorly defined proxies for a real chemistry behind acid/base related processes. No wonder you have problems grasping what they really mean.

8. May 17, 2017 #7
    Yes, they are somehow related to redox reactions and are used to find the equivalent weight.

9. May 23, 2017 at 2:37 AM #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

TBH I see no value in using them in calculations. Just follow the stoichiometry and you will get any result you need. Single universal method is typically much better than half-baked proxies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted