What is the difference between valence factor and n-factor?

In summary: Yes, they are somehow related to redox reactions and are used to find the equivalent weight.TBH I see no value in using them in calculations. Just follow the stoichiometry and you will get any result you need. Single universal method is typically much better than half-baked proxies.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What is the difference between valence factor and n-factor for oxidants and reductants? Take ##H_2O_2## as an example. What is the difference between the n-factor and valence factor for this compound?

Also, how do I find the n-factor for any oxidant or reductant?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am a chemist, and I have never heard of the terms "valence factor" and "n-factor". As you have, where did you hear of them? In class/textbook? What definitions of them were you given?

mjc123 said:
I've just looked them up on google. So now I know. Couldn't you?
Please read this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/little-excuse-ask-question-cold/
You could have simply said that in this place, I'll not get any answer. I posted this because there was a problem that I was having in understanding the concepts, and no site was able to tell me appropriately the difference between n-factor and valence factor.

If I can't get an answer, it's alright. My teacher is in out station and I was not wanting to disturb him regarding petty issues like these.

If you don't want to answer, then simply write that.

mjc123 said:
I am a chemist, and I have never heard of the terms "valence factor" and "n-factor". As you have, where did you hear of them? In class/textbook? What definitions of them were you given?
And I can't think of the fact that a chemist doesn't know these simple terms.

Wrichik Basu said:
And I can't think of the fact that a chemist doesn't know these simple terms.

I haven't heard about them too. Some googling suggests these are rather obscure terms which are poorly defined proxies for a real chemistry behind acid/base related processes. No wonder you have problems grasping what they really mean.

Borek said:
I haven't heard about them too. Some googling suggests these are rather obscure terms which are poorly defined proxies for a real chemistry behind acid/base related processes. No wonder you have problems grasping what they really mean.
Yes, they are somehow related to redox reactions and are used to find the equivalent weight.

TBH I see no value in using them in calculations. Just follow the stoichiometry and you will get any result you need. Single universal method is typically much better than half-baked proxies.

1. What is the definition of valence factor?

The valence factor, also known as valency, is a measure of an element's ability to form chemical bonds with other elements. It represents the number of electrons that an atom can gain, lose, or share in order to achieve a stable octet.

2. How is valence factor different from n-factor?

While valence factor is a measure of an element's bonding capacity, n-factor is a measure of the number of electrons that are gained or lost by an atom in a chemical reaction. In other words, valence factor is an inherent property of an element, whereas n-factor is a result of a chemical reaction.

3. Can valence factor and n-factor be the same?

Yes, in some cases, the valence factor and n-factor can be the same. This occurs when an element's valence factor is equal to the number of electrons that it gains or loses in a reaction. For example, the valence factor and n-factor for sodium in the reaction Na + Cl → NaCl are both 1.

4. How are valence factor and n-factor used in stoichiometry?

In stoichiometry, valence factor and n-factor are used to determine the quantities of substances involved in a chemical reaction. Valence factor is used to balance chemical equations, while n-factor is used to calculate the amount of a substance that is needed or produced in a reaction.

5. Are valence factor and n-factor always whole numbers?

No, valence factor and n-factor can be both whole numbers and fractions. This depends on the type of chemical reaction and the elements involved. For example, in the reaction 2Fe + 3Cl2 → 2FeCl3, the valence factor for iron is 2, but the n-factor for iron is 0.33 since it only loses 2 electrons instead of 6.