What is the distance the projectile lands from the base of the cliff?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kenji1992
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A basketball, thrown off a cliff with a velocity of (30.0, 25.0) m/s, lands on the ground 8.00 s later. In the absence of air resistance, what is the distance the projectile lands from the base of the cliff?

Homework Equations



http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1150/03Vct2D/proj.html
I found these equations online, but I don't know I should use them.

The Attempt at a Solution



viy=30 m/s
vix=25 m/s
t=8 s
d=?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what vix and viy mean. How do they relate to the figures given in your attachment? Which one would be more helpful in calculating how far from the base of the cliff the basketball travels in 8 sec.?