What is the domain of ascsin(x+y)

• Thread starter Mahathepp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the function sine takes an input (x+y) and outputs a number between -1 and 1. The inverse function arcsine takes in a number between -1 and 1 and outputs an angle. The domain of the function is the list of valid inputs.
Mahathepp
Hey

Try to figure out the way to find domain of the function ascsin (x+y) without using the formula can someone give the clue how I should start ? Always confuse about inverse of trigonometry function. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sine function takes an angle as an input and gives out a number between -1 to 1 as an output. Therefore, what will its inverse take as inputs and outputs?

Thanks for your reply. :kI think that the donain should be in the interval. π/2 and -π/2. The thing is in order to be able to plot graph which shows the relation between x and y , I have absolutely no idea how I can do without formula. Can you give me some idea ?

I'll elaborate more. In this situation, we are calling x + y the "input" of the function. This means that, no matter what, x + y will be in the correct domain--i.e. it will be a valid input for the function.

It's necessary to look at what an inverse function means. But to do that, we have to be sure you know what a function is. A function is something that you give an input to, and it gives you an output. Sine is a function. We give it an angle, and it gives us a number between -1 and 1. The inverse of sine is arcsine, but what does that mean? In a sense, it means that arcsine "undoes" whatever sine does. Let's look at some concrete example that don't involve these functions first.

Consider the function "Reverse phone book". Yes, this is a function. Why? Because we give it an input, and it assigns the input exactly one output. I give it the number 555-5555, and it outputs the name "John Smith". What would the inverse function look like? It would just be "phone book". I give it a name (John Smith), and it outputs a number (555-5555). (there is a complication with using this analogy--just assume for now that there are no repeated names in the book, and it will not be important for now).

So let's apply the same logic to sine. Sine takes in an angle, and it gives us a number between -1 and 1. So applying our logic, we see that the inverse function (arcsine) should take in a number between -1 and 1, and it should output an angle. The domain is just another name for the "list of valid inputs", so by extension right here, what's the domain?

Note: We limit the output to numbers between -pi/2 and pi/2, because otherwise, each input would have an infinite number of different outputs, and that's a no-no for functions.

Ohhh thank you so much ..I know now how it should be. . You are awesome. ! :k

What is the domain of ascsin(x+y)?

The domain of ascsin(x+y) is all real numbers except for values that make the argument of the function, x+y, greater than 1 or less than -1. This is because the range of the inverse sine function is limited to values between -π/2 and π/2.

Can the domain of ascsin(x+y) be negative?

No, the domain of ascsin(x+y) cannot be negative. The domain of the function is limited to real numbers between -1 and 1, which means it cannot be negative.

What happens if the domain of ascsin(x+y) is outside the range of -1 to 1?

If the domain of ascsin(x+y) is outside the range of -1 to 1, the function will be undefined. This is because the inverse sine function is only defined for values between -1 and 1.

Is the domain of ascsin(x+y) the same as the domain of sin(x+y)?

No, the domain of ascsin(x+y) is not the same as the domain of sin(x+y). The domain of sin(x+y) is all real numbers, while the domain of ascsin(x+y) is limited to values between -1 and 1.

How does the domain of ascsin(x+y) relate to other inverse trigonometric functions?

The domain of ascsin(x+y) is similar to the domain of other inverse trigonometric functions, such as arctan(x) and arccos(x). All of these functions have a limited domain, as they are only defined for certain values within their respective ranges.