What is the equation for calculating acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
hovno1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. On an asteroid a small object falls, from rest, 1.00m in 4.20s. What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the asteroid?



2.



3. I am getting an answer of 5.67 * 10^-2, by dividing the velocity (distance/time) by the time. Is this the correct?

I will really appreciate any feedback!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is change in velocity divided by time taken.
Dividing that distance by the time taken would calculate the average velocity of the falling object, not the change in its velocity.
Do you know any equations for uniformly accelerated motion?
 
think I've done it now using the equation (Vf-Vi)/t=g. Is this the correct equation to use?
 
not quite, as you don't know the final velocity (though you can work it out), howevere, you do know the distance it travelled, usually called 's' or 'x'
 
The equation to use here is:
[tex] x=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex]
As the initial speed was zero.