Position of the front of an asteroid using special relativity

In summary, the asteroid has a length of exactly 300 µls, and the front end of the asteroid in F' is at x'=1 µls.
TheGreatCabbage

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on part (d) but I've included the previous subquestions in case they're useful.

The length of an asteroid is exactly 300 m = 1 µls (micro light-second) when at rest. Draw a carefully labelled space-time diagram to illustrate the following:
(a) Depict the rest frame F′ of the asteroid, when it is moving along the x-axis at speed ##v = \sqrt{3/2}c## in the diagram reference frame F. The two reference frames can be taken in standard configuration
(b) In the diagram of part (a), depict the asteroid in both reference frames, when the rear end of the asteroid lies at the origin. Find the length of the asteroid in F.
(c) For a given position of the back end, the front ends of the asteroid in F and F′ are different events. Find, in F, the spatial locations of these events (i.e. of the front ends of the asteroid in both frames) when the rear end of the asteroid lies at the origin (i.e. when t = t′ = 0).
(d) Depict the asteroid in both reference frames at a later time, when the rear end lies at x = 4 µls in frame F. Find the locations in F of the front ends of the asteroid in both frames. What is the location in F′ of the front end at this time?

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformation: ##x'=\gamma (x-vt)## and ##x=\gamma (x'+vt')##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about the wording of the question: find the location of the front end of the asteroid in both frames in F, and finally in F'? I don't quite get it.

Anyway, ##\gamma=2## so I think the length in F should be (where L is the length at rest) ##l=\frac{L}{\gamma} = 0.5\mu ls##. This implies that the position of the front end in F is at ##x=4.5\mu ls##. I'm not sure how to do anything else, since I don't know the time in either frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
TheGreatCabbage said:

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on part (d) but I've included the previous subquestions in case they're useful.

The length of an asteroid is exactly 300 m = 1 µls (micro light-second) when at rest. Draw a carefully labelled space-time diagram to illustrate the following:
(a) Depict the rest frame F′ of the asteroid, when it is moving along the x-axis at speed ##v = \sqrt{3/2}c## in the diagram reference frame F. The two reference frames can be taken in standard configuration
(b) In the diagram of part (a), depict the asteroid in both reference frames, when the rear end of the asteroid lies at the origin. Find the length of the asteroid in F.
(c) For a given position of the back end, the front ends of the asteroid in F and F′ are different events. Find, in F, the spatial locations of these events (i.e. of the front ends of the asteroid in both frames) when the rear end of the asteroid lies at the origin (i.e. when t = t′ = 0).
(d) Depict the asteroid in both reference frames at a later time, when the rear end lies at x = 4 µls in frame F. Find the locations in F of the front ends of the asteroid in both frames. What is the location in F′ of the front end at this time?

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformation: ##x'=\gamma (x-vt)## and ##x=\gamma (x'+vt')##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about the wording of the question: find the location of the front end of the asteroid in both frames in F, and finally in F'? I don't quite get it.

Anyway, ##\gamma=2## so I think the length in F should be (where L is the length at rest) ##l=\frac{L}{\gamma} = 0.5\mu ls##. This implies that the position of the front end in F is at ##x=4.5\mu ls##. I'm not sure how to do anything else, since I don't know the time in either frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The problem statement gives you the distance traveled in F and the speed in F.

Likes TheGreatCabbage
tnich said:
The problem statement gives you the distance traveled in F and the speed in F.
(Correction for original post: the speed is supposed to be ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}c##, which then gives ##\gamma=2##.)
Thanks, I can't believe how long I spent without noticing that. So, the time in ##F## is: $$t=\frac{D}{v}=\frac{8}{3}\sqrt{3}\mu s$$ Therefore the time in ##F'## is: $$t'=\frac{t}{\gamma}=\frac{4}{3}\sqrt{3}\mu s$$
The front of the asteroid in ##F'## is at ##x'=1\mu ls## because that's the rest frame of the asteroid, and the front of the asteroid in ##F## is at ##x_1=4.5\mu ls## because the length in ##F## is ##0.5\mu ls##. Lastly, the position in ##F## corresponding to the front end of the asteroid in ##F'## is: $$x_2=\gamma (x'+vt')=6 \mu ls$$
I hope I haven't made any massive mistakes? Thanks very much for your help :-)

1. How does special relativity impact the position of the front of an asteroid?

Special relativity does not directly impact the position of the front of an asteroid. Instead, it explains how the observed position of the asteroid may differ depending on the relative velocities of the observer and the asteroid.

2. Can special relativity accurately predict the position of the front of an asteroid?

Special relativity can accurately predict the position of the front of an asteroid as long as the relative velocities between the observer and the asteroid are known and taken into account.

3. How does the speed of light affect the position of the front of an asteroid in special relativity?

The speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference, which means that it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative velocities. This plays a crucial role in calculating the position of the front of an asteroid in special relativity.

4. Is there a limit to how accurately we can determine the position of the front of an asteroid using special relativity?

There is no fundamental limit to how accurately we can determine the position of the front of an asteroid using special relativity. However, there may be practical limitations due to uncertainties in measurement and other factors such as the gravitational influence of other objects.

5. How does special relativity account for the motion of the front of an asteroid?

Special relativity takes into account the concept of time dilation, which states that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high velocities. This means that the position of the front of an asteroid may appear to be different depending on the relative velocities of the observer and the asteroid. Additionally, special relativity also considers the effects of length contraction, which means that the length of the asteroid may appear to be shorter in the direction of motion for the observer.