Time required to change the velocity of an asteroid?

In summary: If you take the square root of a quantity in Newtons then the result will have units of ##\sqrt{N}## which is not right for a force.For "extra credit" I would consider a hypothetical orbit and run some calculations from there. Since orbital velocity depends on where and object is along the orbit it might play a significant role. The velocity will change without the use of thrust (economic aspect). Just as you omitted units early in the thread, whoever is asking the question has omitted information as well.
Howard Fox

Homework Statement

So I am given a problem where I am asked to find the time it takes to change the velocity of an asteroid by 1m/s. In a previous section of the problem I was asked to find the force through which the asteroid is being propelled, which I calculated it to be F=1.3x10^4 N, and the magnitude of the acceleration, being a=6.2x10^-5 m/s^2. I am also given the mass of the asteroid: 7.5x10^12kg.

2. Relevant Equations
Vf=Vo+a*t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using one of the basic kinematic equations, like the above, and to solve for time by imputting two different values of Vo and Vf. The problem is I don't know the initial speed and I am not sure I could find it with the given information.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the change in velocity, do you need to know V0 and Vf? What does the "change in velocity" mean?

Howard Fox said:
F=1.3x10^4, and the magnitude of the acceleration, being a=6.2x10^-5. I am also given the mass of the asteroid: 7.5x10^12.
F=ma. At least one of those numbers must be incorrect. Technically, all of them are incorrect since none of them have units specified.

phyzguy said:
To find the change in velocity, do you need to know V0 and Vf? What does the "change in velocity" mean?
It means change in position with respect to time?

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please don't delete the template headers.

You should specify the units associated with your values. A number alone is practically meaningless.

jbriggs444 said:
F=ma. At least one of those numbers must be incorrect. Technically, all of them are incorrect since none of them have units specified.
Okay I have corrected the missing units. I could have previously made wrong calculations which resulted in the wrong numbers. I was asked to find the magnitude of the resultant force of the vectors of the two asteroid's thrusters, which supply a force with x and y components of:
upload_2018-11-5_15-24-59.png

I calculated this magnitude as 1.3x10^4 N. Is that correct?
Then the magnitude of the acceleration produced by the thrusters I calculated as:
45527614_249483272393191_7449235666669404160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Is there something I did wrong? Thank you very much for your help

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_15-24-59.png
    upload_2018-11-5_15-24-59.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 45527614_249483272393191_7449235666669404160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    45527614_249483272393191_7449235666669404160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 462
[I've re-rendered your attachments using LaTeX]
Howard Fox said:
Okay I have corrected the missing units. I could have previously made wrong calculations which resulted in the wrong numbers. I was asked to find the magnitude of the resultant force of the vectors of the two asteroid's thrusters, which supply a force with x and y components of:
##F_1=(8.0\times 10^7, 7.0 \times 10^7)##
##F_2=(4.0\times 10^7, -2.0 \times 10^7)##
I calculated this magnitude as 1.3x10^4 N. Is that correct?
No. Can you show your work for this part? [I think I see what you did -- but we need you to show it explicitly. Hint: can you show us the Pythagorean formula?]
Then the magnitude of the acceleration produced by the thrusters I calculated as:
##a=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{1}{7.5 \times 10^{12}} \times (12 \times 10^7, 5 \times 10^7)##
##a=(1.6 \times 10^{-5}, 6.0 \times 10^{-5} )##
Is there something I did wrong?
This one contains a different error.

jbriggs444 said:
[I've re-rendered your attachments using LaTeX]

No. Can you show your work for this part? [I think I see what you did -- but we need you to show it explicitly. Hint: can you show us the Pythagorean formula?]

This one contains a different error.
Okay, here is the work, sorry if the final answer is missing units again, it's in Newtons of couse.
45385984_1970575396568140_5890343592567767040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Attachments

• 45385984_1970575396568140_5890343592567767040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    45385984_1970575396568140_5890343592567767040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 450
[Transcribing to LaTeX again]
Howard Fox said:
Okay, here is the work, sorry if the final answer is missing units again, it's in Newtons of couse.
$$|F| = \sqrt{F_x^2 + f_y^2} = \sqrt{12 \times 10^7 + 5 \times 10^7} = 1.3 \times 10^4$$
The first error is on that line. What happened to the squaring that was supposed to be done on the x and y components?

Edit: Sanity checks are a useful tool. As I alluded to previously, if a force has an x component of 1.2 x 108 then it should have a magnitude at least that large. If it does not then there has to be an error somewhere.

One might also have caught that error by tracking units more carefully. If you take the square root of a quantity in Newtons then the result will have units of ##\sqrt{N}## which is not right for a force.

Last edited:
For "extra credit" I would consider a hypothetical orbit and run some calculations from there. Since orbital velocity depends on where and object is along the orbit it might play a significant role. The velocity will change without the use of thrust (economic aspect). Just as you omitted units early in the thread, whoever is asking the question has omitted information as well.

jbriggs444 said:

The first error is on that line. What happened to the squaring that was supposed to be done on the x and y components?

Edit: Sanity checks are a useful tool. As I alluded to previously, if a force has an x component of 1.2 x 108 then it should have a magnitude at least that large. If it does not then there has to be an error somewhere.
Oh wow, I made the squaring magically disappear! Thank you for spotting my distraction. So the magnitude of the resultant vector would be 1.3x10^8 N

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:

One might also have caught that error by tracking units more carefully. If you take the square root of a quantity in Newtons then the result will have units of ##\sqrt{N}## which is not right for a force.
So, I corrected the error in the acceleration calculation as well, the Y component should have been 6.0x10^-6 m/s^2, instead 6.0x10^-5, as I had previously written. So now multiplying the magnitude of the acceleration and the mass of the asteroid does give me the magnitude of the Force. Initial problem solved :)
Do you have an idea on how to proceed? Thank you very much.

Eric Bretschneider said:
For "extra credit" I would consider a hypothetical orbit and run some calculations from there. Since orbital velocity depends on where and object is along the orbit it might play a significant role. The velocity will change without the use of thrust (economic aspect). Just as you omitted units early in the thread, whoever is asking the question has omitted information as well.
Yeah possibly one piece of information that I should have included is that the resultant force calculated acts in the same direction as the asteroid's motion. Other than this all the information has been included I think. Thank you

Howard Fox said:
Yeah possibly one piece of information that I should have included is that the resultant force calculated acts in the same direction as the asteroid's motion. Other than this all the information has been included I think. Thank you
It's always best to post the full problem as given, and to show your work in detail. Sometimes it's a matter of missing or misinterpreting some aspect in the problem statement that catches one out.

gneill said:
It's always best to post the full problem as given, and to show your work in detail. Sometimes it's a matter of missing or misinterpreting some aspect in the problem statement that catches one out.
Okay, thank you for the heads up. Here is a screenshot of the problem:
upload_2018-11-5_16-44-37.png

And here is the part I asked help for
upload_2018-11-5_16-46-22.png
:

Part A was just asking me to find the resultant magnitude of the force, which as outlined in earlier messages, is 1.3x10^8 N.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_16-44-37.png
    upload_2018-11-5_16-44-37.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 405
  • upload_2018-11-5_16-46-22.png
    upload_2018-11-5_16-46-22.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Posting that and the part (a) too would likely have saved everyone a lot of time :wink:

gneill said:
Posting that and the part (a) too would likely have saved everyone a lot of time :wink:
Part A is just asking me to find the resultant magnitude of the force, which as outlined in earlier messages, is 1.3x10^8 N. I will edit my previous message to include this information.
Cheers.

Howard Fox said:
Part A is just asking me to find the resultant magnitude of the force, which as outlined in earlier messages, is 1.3x10^8 N. I will edit my previous message to include this information.
Cheers.
No need, the thread has plaid out. Making changes to previous posts that have been part of the conversation will only confuse future readers.

Likes jbriggs444
Howard Fox said:
So, I corrected the error in the acceleration calculation as well, the Y component should have been 6.0x10^-6 m/s^2, instead 6.0x10^-5, as I had previously written. So now multiplying the magnitude of the acceleration and the mass of the asteroid does give me the magnitude of the Force. Initial problem solved :)
So you had calculated a force magnitude of 1.3 x 108 N. With the asteroid mass at 7.5 x 1012 kg, you have determined that the resulting acceleration has a magnitude of 6.0 x 10-5 m/s2

Can you show us your work for that? What equation did you use? What calculation did you make?

jbriggs444 said:
So you had calculated a force magnitude of 1.3 x 108 N. With the asteroid mass at 7.5 x 1012 kg, you have determined that the resulting acceleration has a magnitude of 6.0 x 10-5 m/s2

Can you show us your work for that? What equation did you use? What calculation did you make?
I have used this to calculate the magnitude of the acceleration: The resulting acceleration being 1.7x10^-5 m/s^2
45403598_2189295164659739_6577927286396289024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Attachments

• 45403598_2189295164659739_6577927286396289024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    45403598_2189295164659739_6577927286396289024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 452
Howard Fox said:
I have used this to calculate the magnitude of the acceleration: The resulting acceleration being 1.7x10^-5 m/s^2
OK. I had managed to confuse myself into taking a different number as your result.

Note that you did not have to apply the Pythagorean theorem again. You already had the magnitude of the force available. Divide by the mass and you have the magnitude of the acceleration.

Now the only question remaining is how long it takes with an acceleration of 1.7 x 10-5 meters/second2 to achieve a delta V of 1 meter/second.

jbriggs444 said:
OK. I had managed to confuse myself into taking a different number as your result.

Note that you did not have to apply the Pythagorean theorem again. You already had the magnitude of the force available. Divide by the mass and you have the magnitude of the acceleration.

Now the only question remaining is how long it takes with an acceleration of 1.7 x 10-5 meters/second2 to achieve a delta V of 1 meter/second.
Yeah, that's the question. I am still not sure on how to approach it. Should I try and find a value for the initial or final velocity?

Howard Fox said:
Yeah, that's the question. I am still not sure on how to approach it. Should I try and find a value for the initial or final velocity?
It is way easier than that. Let's try some algebra.

##a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##

You've just finished calculating a.
You've been given ##\Delta v##
You are trying to calculate ##\Delta t##

jbriggs444 said:
It is way easier than that. Let's try some algebra.

##a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##

You've just finished calculating a.
You've been given ##\Delta v##
You are trying to calculate ##\Delta t##
Wow, perfect, it really was easy!
You multiply by change in t on both times and divide by acceleration on both sides. You solve for t and convert the resulting number from seconds to hours and you do get approximately 16 hours! Thank you so much, your help has been prodigious!

1. How long does it take to change the velocity of an asteroid?

The time required to change the velocity of an asteroid depends on various factors such as the size and mass of the asteroid, the amount of force applied, and the method used to change its velocity. It could take anywhere from a few seconds to several months or even years.

2. What methods can be used to change the velocity of an asteroid?

There are several methods that can be used to change the velocity of an asteroid, including gravitational assist, kinetic impact, and solar sails. Each method has its own advantages and limitations and the choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the asteroid and the mission objectives.

3. How much force is required to change the velocity of an asteroid?

The amount of force required to change the velocity of an asteroid depends on its mass and the desired change in velocity. A larger asteroid would require more force to change its velocity compared to a smaller one. Additionally, the method used and the duration of the force application also play a role in determining the amount of force needed.

4. Can the velocity of an asteroid be changed without destroying it?

Yes, it is possible to change the velocity of an asteroid without destroying it. This can be achieved through gentle methods such as gravitational assist or solar sails, which use the natural forces of the asteroid's environment to alter its velocity. However, more forceful methods like kinetic impact may result in some damage to the asteroid.

5. How does changing the velocity of an asteroid affect its trajectory?

Changing the velocity of an asteroid will also change its trajectory. The direction and amount of the change will depend on the method used and the force applied. In some cases, the trajectory may be altered significantly, while in others, it may only have a minor effect. It is important to carefully plan and calculate the impact of changing the velocity on the asteroid's trajectory to ensure a successful mission.