What is the equation for calculating molecular flux for a gas?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
Erubus
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the molecular flux of argon gas, molar mass 18 g/mol, with density 0.73 kg/m3 and temperature 300 K? Answer: 3.6×10^27 collisions/m^2s

Homework Equations


I actually have no idea


The Attempt at a Solution


I can't find any reference to molecular flux in my notes or 2 physics textbooks, an equation would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link. If I read it correctly, flux = .25*(N/V)*√(8kT/([itex]\pi[/itex]m)

however, the density in the problem is given in kg/m^3 while the equation calls for the density based on the number of molecules, which is not given. It's probably an algebra problem now, but I'm also unsure with what to do with the given molar mass.
 
Erubus said:
Thank you for the link. If I read it correctly, flux = .25*(N/V)*√(8kT/([itex]\pi[/itex]m)

however, the density in the problem is given in kg/m^3 while the equation calls for the density based on the number of molecules, which is not given. It's probably an algebra problem now, but I'm also unsure with what to do with the given molar mass.

It is easy to get the number density of molecules from the mass density and molar mass.
Molar mass is 18 g/mol=0.018 kg/mol. 1 mol gas contains NA (Avogadro Number) molecules, so the mass of a single molecule is 0.018/NA kg.
The mass density is 0.73 kg/m3, so the mass of 1 m3 gas is 0.73 kg. How many molecule is it ?

ehild