What is the equation of a line given one point and another unknown value?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sat Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mynameisfunk
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Had a SAT level geometry question from a student and didn't know how to solve it. I redrew what the picture was and the question asked for the slope. I know PF better than that but don't just give me the answer bc I need to know how to solve.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20120815_155134 (2).jpg
    IMG_20120815_155134 (2).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
There is not enough information on the picture. You need to specify the coordinates of two points to get the slope.
 
Perhaps we're given that the point of intersection bisects the line segment between the axes. That would be solvable. OP, is that an additional given?
 
mynameisfunk said:
Had a SAT level geometry question from a student and didn't know how to solve it. I redrew what the picture was and the question asked for the slope. I know PF better than that but don't just give me the answer bc I need to know how to solve.

The equation of a line is [itex]y=ax+b[/itex] for some unknown constants a and b. Since we are given the value of one of the points, (x,y)=(3,4) then plugging it into this equation yields [itex]4=3a+b[/itex]

Just one more equation and then we can solve for a and b simultaneously. Good luck!