1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the equations of motion for a pendulum and spring

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is for a math based physics class. I need the equation ofa pendulum and of a spring.

2. Relevant equations

Spring: x=Asin(wt-phi)+B
    Pendulum: theta=theta0cos(wt+phi) or theta=theta0cos(sqrt(g/l)sin(theta))

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know which of these are correct. Please let me know the right equation for each; if it's a differential equation, please let me know what it is solved if possible. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

AEM

Gold Member

For small displacements of the pendulum when [tex] sin \theta \simeq \theta [/tex] and ignoring friction in both cases, the equations governing the motion of the mass-spring and the pendulum are those of simple harmonic motion.

The D.E. is [tex] \frac {d^2 x}{ dt^2} + \omega^2 x = 0 [/tex]

Which has a solution with two arbitrary constants (necessary because the D.E. is second order). There are various equivalent forms for the solution. One of which is

[tex] x = A sin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

[tex] \omega [/tex] is called the angular frequency and its exact form in terms of the physical parameters in your problem can be determined when you set up the differential
    equation. A is the amplitude and [tex] \phi [/tex] the phase. These two parameters are determined from initial conditions. All of this is covered in standard physics textbook.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?