What is the expression for the series involving cubes and squares?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aalmighty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
aalmighty
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
It's a nice li'l series. The question is to find an expression for the series


S=1^3-2^3+3^3-4^3+...-(2m-2)^3+(2m-1)^3

where m is a subset of N

I added and subtracted sum of even squares to get

S={1^3+2^3+3^3+4^3+...+(2m-1)^3}-{2(2^3+4^3+6^3+...+(2m-2)^3)}

Replaced the first part by [(2m-1)(2m)/2]^2 to get

S=[(2m-1)(2m)/2]^2-2(2^3+4^3+6^3+...+(2m-2)^3)

now All I need to complete the problem is to get the general formula for the sum of cubes of the first n even natural numbers, plug the values and evaluate. Can anyone please help?

Also, Please let me know if there is an alternative way to solve this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, sum of cubes is not an arithmetic progression.

23+ 43+ 63+ . . .
= 23+ (2*2)3+ (2*3)3+ ...
= 23(1+ 23+ 33+...)

Do you know the formula for the sum of cubes?
 
Oh! Thank you. I'm kicking myself for not figuring that out :)