What is the exterior angle of a triangle?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the value of an angle in a triangle, given that it is an exterior angle and the other two interior angles are unknown. The conversation covers different types of triangles and the use of the exterior angle theorem and the properties of angles formed by a transversal cutting parallel lines to solve the problem. The final conclusion is that the angle in question is equal to 50°.
zak100

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-4_12-43-8.png

It looks as if 50 degrees is an external angle of the triangle.So it should be greater than the two opposite interior angles (i.e x and the other one). But book tells a different answer. Somebody please guide me.Zulfi.

Homework Equations

No eq. Rule: Exterior angle of a triangle is greater than the two opposite interior angles of atriangle

The Attempt at a Solution

50 degree must be greater than x because it is an exterior angle of a triangle.

Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do think 50° is an exterior angle ?
Is it contained between two sides of the triangle ?

Last edited:
Does the problem statement tell you what type of triangle it is ?

One particular type of triangle would let you get your answer by inspection . What type would that be ?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks. Question does not say anything about the triangle. It says that l & k are parallel lines.
I got a explanation of exterior angle from a website:

At each vertex of a triangle, an exterior angle of the triangle may be formed by extending ONE SIDE of the triangle. See picture below.

Its now clear to me what's an exterior angle
exterior1.gif

I have one another question:
Is the other angle within the triangle, in my question (opposite to x) equals to 50 because its a transversal cutting two parallel lines?
Plz guide me.

Zulfi.

Post removed pro tem .

Hi,
<One particular type of triangle would let you get your answer by inspection . What type would that be ?>
Equilateral. In that case x would be 60 which is not same as 50.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Is the other angle within the triangle, in my question (opposite to x) equals to 50 because its a transversal cutting two parallel lines?

Ok I tell the answer now but first I want to know the reason from you why you think so (state some theorem, law, axiom ... that prompted you to think so).

zak100 said:
Hi,
<One particular type of triangle would let you get your answer by inspection . What type would that be ?>
Equilateral. In that case x would be 60 which is not same as 50.

Zulfi.

Then the angle formed by the transversal will also change, So don't think about a special case of the triangle.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.Sorry it not adding the picture. I would ask my question in another post.Zulfi.

Hi,
In the above picture, is y equal to 50?
Zulfi.

Hi,
In the following picture, is y equal to 50?
upload_2016-12-4_19-1-34.png

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
zak100 said:
Hi,
Zulfi.

I can't provide you direct answer because the last time I did so, a mentor warned me not to do so.

But I can say if you are right or wrong, if you tell me what do you think about your question with proper reasoning, i.e tell me whether y = 50 or not and justify it.
You might want to use the 'property of angles on the alternate sides of transversal' .

Last edited:
zak100 said:
Hi,
View attachment 109903
Zulfi.
Your picture is confusing. Is angle y the interior angle that is marked?

Hi,
<Is angle y the interior angle that is marked?>
Yes.
<But I can say if you are right or wrong, if you tell me what do you think about your question with proper reasoning, i.e tell me whether y = 50 or not and justify it.>
Actually i already told you about the traversal. Now i am writing the rule:
If a pair of lines is cut by a traversal that is not perpendicular to the parallel lines then:
Four acute angles are equal & four obtuse angles are equal. That's i am thinking that 'y' which i have marked as the interior angle of triangle is equal to 50.
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Yes.
<But I can say if you are right or wrong, if you tell me what do you think about your question with proper reasoning, i.e tell me whether y = 50 or not and justify it.>
Actually i already told you about the traversal. Now i am writing the rule:
If a pair of lines is cut by a traversal that is not perpendicular to the parallel lines then:
Four acute angles are equal & four obtuse angles are equal. That's i am thinking that 'y' which i have marked as the interior angle of triangle is equal to 50.
Zulfi.

Yes you are correct. The rule you stated, in short is "Interior angles on the opposite sides of the transversal are equal.".

zak100 said:
Hi,
Yes.
In that case, angle y is 50°.

What is an exterior angle of a triangle?

An exterior angle of a triangle is an angle formed by extending one side of a triangle and a neighboring side. It is located outside of the triangle, hence the name "exterior" angle.

How is an exterior angle of a triangle measured?

An exterior angle of a triangle is measured by its size in degrees. It is measured by adding the two interior angles that are adjacent to it.

What is the relationship between an exterior angle and its corresponding interior angle?

The exterior angle and its corresponding interior angle are supplementary angles, meaning they add up to 180 degrees. This relationship is known as the Exterior Angle Theorem.

Can an exterior angle of a triangle ever be larger than 180 degrees?

No, an exterior angle of a triangle can never be larger than 180 degrees. The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, so the exterior angle cannot exceed this value.

How can the exterior angle of a triangle be used to calculate missing angles?

The exterior angle of a triangle can be used in conjunction with the other two interior angles to calculate missing angles. By subtracting the exterior angle from 180 degrees, you can find the measure of the missing interior angle.