What are the sizes of angles in a scalene triangle with given expressions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frank212
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Triangle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Frank212
Messages
14
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


The three angles of a scalene triangle are x degrees, (x-12) degrees and (2x+6) degrees. What sizes are the angles?[/B]
bandicam 2016-08-11 20-13-13-110.jpg

Homework Equations


Triangle = a+b+c =180
Scalene = no equal size or angles[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


So what do you do with (x-12) degrees and (2x+6) degrees?
I tried putting them all in an equation to isolate x but it was an incorrect approach. I can't equally divide the triangle since it's a scalene triangle. Can someone give me a clue?
x+(x-12)+(2x+6)=180
x=93/2[/B]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Frank212 said:
x+(x-12)+(2x+6)=180
Good. write it out using a+(b+c) = a+ b+ c etcetera...
 
Your approach is right:

a + b + c = 180
=> (x-12)+(2x+6) + x = 180

Now isolate x, and verify your results by filling x in the original question.

Frank212 said:
I tried putting them all in an equation to isolate x but it was an incorrect approach. I can't equally divide the triangle since it's a scalene triangle.

What exactly do you mean by this?
 
Hi Frank, :welcome: (a bit belated, but welcome nevertheless :smile:)
I notice you had a similar problem earlier and managed to solve it. Do you recognize that you are in the same situation with the current problem ?
Frank212 said:
Thank you ehild, your explanation really helped a lot.

45+(x+44)+(3x-23)+3x=360
7x+66=360
7x=294
7x/7=294/7
x=42
 
BvU said:
Hi Frank, :welcome: (a bit belated, but welcome nevertheless :smile:)
I notice you had a similar problem earlier and managed to solve it. Do you recognize that you are in the same situation with the current problem ?

Yeah but I'm not trying to find one variable, I'm trying to find 3 angles, according to the answers
bandicam 2016-08-11 20-08-46-363.jpg

Obviously I know the answers now but I want to understand the step by step process behind it so I can learn from it.
 
Math_QED said:
Your approach is right:

a + b + c = 180
=> (x-12)+(2x+6) + x = 180

Now isolate x, and verify your results by filling x in the original question.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Thanks a lot man, I got confused but now I understand it, after isolating x I just plug it into the equation.

x: 93/2 = 46.5 degrees
(x-12): 46.5-12= 34.5 degrees
a+b+c=180
46.5+34.5=81
180-81=99 degrees