1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the final temperature of the mixture?

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

10 g of water from a water ice mixture (0 degrees C) is added to100 g of water at 20 degrees celsius. what is the final temperature of the mixture? C of water =1 kcal/kg*C Latent Heat of Fusion of water=79.7 kcal/kg

2. Relevant equations

Q=mC(Tf-Ti)
    Q=mL

3. The attempt at a solution

I ignored Latent heat of fusion since the 0 degree water form the water-ice is already melted. I just set mC(Tf-Ti) of water from water-ice equal to mC(Tf-Ti) of water. I got 22 degrees. Book answer is 18.2. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calorimetry

Probably a sign error: One part heats up, one part cools down, so you have to swap the sign on one side. Otherwise, you add the same amount of heat to both parts.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mix water at 0C with some other water at 20C, then the final temp of the mixture must be between 0C and 20C.

5. Jan 12, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

mC(Tf-Ti) for water and for ice are of equal magnitude but of opposite signs, as the warm water loses heat while the cold water gains.
    The sum of the mC(Tf-Ti) terms is zero.

ehild

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5

when 260g of metal shots at 200^C are mixed in an ice-water bath (m of ice is 50g, m of water is 90g) which is in a 105 g copper container, the final temperature of the mixture was 10^C. assuming no heat energy was lost from the system, what is the value of the specific heat capacity of the metal

7. Jan 26, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please start a new thread for a new question. In addition, please show your attempts to solve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook